white gull (Humboldt)

  • Ken Burton
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 7, 2013
      This morning I found an interesting white gull off Waddington Road in the Ferndale Bottoms. I’ve posted some photos in a folder called “white gull (Humboldt).” It was on the south side of the road along the entire east-west stretch between the two 90-degree bends (Waddington mostly runs north-south). Daryl Coldren and Rob Fowler also saw it. Daryl said it had pale barring in the tail; and we all noticed what may have been a few pale brown mantle feathers, though this may have been mud or manure instead; otherwise the plumage was pure white. The bill was pale at the base, gradually darkening distally. The eyes were dark and we could not see the legs. We considered Iceland but concluded that the plumage was too pale and unmarked, the eyes too dark, and the bill too long. I’m currently leaning towards a leucistic Thayer’s but welcome others’ input.

      Ken Burton
      Arcata

    • Steve Hampton
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 7, 2013
        His brothers are here: http://www.tertial.us/gulls/whitegulls.htm

        I've received very mixed replies on these, with some very well-known
        birders saying they are within range of Glaucous/Iceland, and others saying
        they are likely leucistic.

        On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 3:15 PM, Ken Burton <shrikethree@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > This morning I found an interesting white gull off Waddington Road in the
        > Ferndale Bottoms. I�ve posted some photos in a folder called �white gull
        > (Humboldt).� It was on the south side of the road along the entire
        > east-west stretch between the two 90-degree bends (Waddington mostly runs
        > north-south). Daryl Coldren and Rob Fowler also saw it. Daryl said it had
        > pale barring in the tail; and we all noticed what may have been a few pale
        > brown mantle feathers, though this may have been mud or manure instead;
        > otherwise the plumage was pure white. The bill was pale at the base,
        > gradually darkening distally. The eyes were dark and we could not see the
        > legs. We considered Iceland but concluded that the plumage was too pale and
        > unmarked, the eyes too dark, and the bill too long. I�m currently leaning
        > towards a leucistic Thayer�s but welcome others� input.
        >
        > Ken Burton
        > Arcata

        Steve Hampton
        Davis, CA