Juvenile Arctic Loon at Monterey Harbor 5 Jan

  • Brian Sullivan
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 5, 2013
      Birders

      I found this interesting juvenile loon foraging in Monterey Harbor today.
      Based on its obvious white flank patches, rather long bill, and sometimes
      "bumpy" head, I identified it as a juvenile Arctic Loon. Comments welcome.
      Compared with the adult that was at San Simeon last winter, this bird
      looked a bit smaller and slimmer, and it did not carry its bill uptilted as
      often. The head shape was highly variable, ranging from rounded and
      Pacific-like when actively foraging, to more blocky at times. The San
      Simeon bird also showed a quite variable head shape, but what the two birds
      really have in common is this obvious white flank patch even when riding
      very low in the water.

      This is a review species in California so the record is obviously going to
      be submitted to the California Bird Records Committee. Many others were
      able to see the bird today.

      Thanks

      Brian

      --