Re: [CALBIRDS] Birding List Digest (Sialia) and eBird

  • Bob Toleno
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 1, 2013
      It's probably also worth mentioning that the American Birding Association
      compiles and publishes the postings from every bird email list in the US.
      It's on their website at:

      http://birding.aba.org

      It doesn't have any different info as sialia.com, but I find the interface
      at the ABA's website a little easier to use. YMMV.

      Happy new year,
      Bob Toleno
      San Francisco

      On Mon, Dec 31, 2012 at 6:57 AM, Chris Conard <conardc@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Folks,
      >
      > While this won't be news to the vast majority of Calbirds members, many new
      > folks join and some out of state birders subscribe for short periods, so I
      > figured it would be worth mentioning other sources of info on rare bird
      > status.
      >
      > Rarities are often posted for a few days on Calbirds and then many updates
      > or more detailed directions are posted local lists (maybe that shouldn't be
      > the case, but it often is, so it is worth checking). Nearly all of the
      > local/regional lists are available through the Birding List Digest (Sialia)
      > (for California: http://digest.sialia.com/?region=2). Another great
      > source that keeps getting better is eBird (Explore Data, then Range and
      > Point Maps or Bar Charts).
      >
      > In light of the confusion over the status of the Falcated Duck in Colusa,
      > these sources are worth checking, especially before making a long drive.
      >
      > All the best,
      >
      > Chris Conard
      > Sacramento

    • Kimball Garrett
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 1, 2013
        While on this subject, might I register my disappointment that the San Diego list serve, covering one of the most active and bird-rich areas in California, is still not covered on the ABA website -- apparently due to issues the SD listowner has with the ABA. Would it be too much to ask that such issues be set aside and the SD listserve archives be shared on the ABA site?

        Kimball L. Garrett
        Ornithology Collections Manager
        900 Exposition Blvd.
        Los Angeles, CA 90007 USA
        213-763-3368
        kgarrett@...
        http://www.nhm.org/site/research-collections/ornithology

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 1, 2013
          A plug must go to Christopher Taylor for his "Recent Rare Bird Sightings"
          tool that combines listserve reports as well as eBird entries. This
          includes a search function so you can locate every Falcated Duck post (or
          whatever you're looking for) in one fell swoop whenever it had been posted
          in any county, state or within the ABA area. While Sialia.com is great for
          archiving all the listserver messages, Chris's tool will give you all the
          specific birds. There is a user login required but it is free to use. It's
          an awesome resource.

          http://kiwifoto.com/rba/

          Jamie Chavez
          Santa Maria, CA