redpoll photos from Placer County

  • John Sterling
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 31, 2012
      Just posted some photos of the male Common Redpoll discovered today in Placer County on the valley floor! See Recent Photos gallery on my website.

      www.sterlingbirds.com

      enjoy!

      John Sterling

      26 Palm Ave
      Woodland, CA 95695
      530 908-3836
      jsterling@...

      www.sterlingbirds.com (photos, classes, tours, county birding)
    • Batkin, Leonie F
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 5, 2013
        This morning at 9:35am we spotted a flock of COMMON REDPOLLS along highway 395 while driving south from Alturas. The location was on the west side of the highway immediately south of mile marker 12. The ranch is signed as Fitzhugh Creek Ranch on the east side. On the west of the highway there are two driveways one leads to stacks of hay the second is where we watched the flock fly around for approximately 5 minutes and were able to see the birds in our scope. There were 13 birds in the flock and at any given time that we looked at them we saw adults and immature COMMON REDPOLLS.
        They were feeding in the rabbit brush and there were no house finches or goldfinches in the flock. There was a flock of dark-eyed juncos in the same area.

        Ron Thorn
        Leonie Batkin

        Sent from my iPhone