Re: Fwd: [CALBIRDS] FYI: No Falcated Duck since December 19, 2012

  • Chuq Von Rospach
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 31, 2012
      There are always a few people in any population that see things
      differently. Most hunters I know are pretty upstanding people who care as
      much about the birds and the environment as we do. Are there bad apples?
      sure.

      Just like there are birders who have no problem violating private property
      and refuge rules ("area closed? not for me!") to tick off a special bird.
      Or have no problem screwing up viewing for others or scaring off a bird to
      make sure they get the view.

      Just like there are bird photographers who'll harrass a bird off a nest to
      get the shot they want. Or pursue a bird and stress it out to the point it
      leaves the area or gets taken by a raptor because they were more interested
      in the shot than the bird.

      We don't know fi the falcated duck was taken by a hunter. Or if it finally
      got tired of people chasing it around trying to take its picture. Or if it
      met a nice lady duck and is off in another pond somewhere enjoying being
      hidden.

      I was down at Guadalupe Dunes yesterday trying to take pictures of the
      Snowy Plovers and watched the Ranger have to shag a pair of photographers
      who were harrassing the gull flock becaues they wanted pictures of the
      birds in flight, so they'd set up their shot and then went and chased the
      birds. And when she yelled at them to cut it out, they argued.

      Before we go pointing blame at the hunters, we should remember our own
      group have folks who do things that aren't necessarily what we like, or
      good for the birds we think we're caring for. Even if the hunters did take
      the falcated duck, it was probably a legal act, unlike, say, these people (
      http://www.chuqui.com/2012/01/how-not-to-be-a-doofus-with-a-camera/ ) I
      ran into at Merced a while back. And don't we all have horror stories of
      birders or bird photogs we've run into doing stupid or dangerous things?

      So let's not get into bitching about hunters, just because we dont' like
      hunting. It's just as valid a use of these resources as ours, and the vast
      majority of them are a lot more in sync with us than you might think.

      On Mon, Dec 31, 2012 at 11:23 AM, Todd <toddamcgrath@...> wrote:

      > **
      >
      > I took a look at the posts to the board, and there were plenty of comments
      > that talked about what a bad idea it would be to shoot the duck.

      It also bears remembering that Colusa would not exist without duck hunters.

      --
      Chuq Von Rospach - Photographer and Author with Opinions
      http://www.chuqui.com; chuqvr@...; chuqui@...; Twitter: @chuq