Fwd: [CALBIRDS] FYI: No Falcated Duck since December 19, 2012

  • John Sterling
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 31, 2012
      check out what a few duck hunters think about birders and the Falcated Duck.......

      Hopefully these opinions are in the minority, but it makes it difficult to toe the line in respecting hunters for "all that they do in promoting wetland/duck conservation".

      There is a hunter in Humboldt County that regularly checks the rare bird alert for rare ducks/geese, and then proceeds to shoot them for his trophy case. Seems like this may be more common around the state than we realize.

      > http://www.jesseshunting.com/forums/showthread.php/225471-So-can-we-shoot-this-one-(Falcated-Duck-Rare-Asian-Bird-Makes-Appearance-In-California)

      I would hope that Ducks Unlimited, California Waterfowl Association and Dept. of Fish and Game would try to educate these hunters to be better citizens.

      John

      John Sterling

      26 Palm Ave
      Woodland, CA 95695
      530 908-3836
      jsterling@...

      www.sterlingbirds.com (photos, classes, tours, county birding)

      Begin forwarded message:

      > From: Ali Sheehey <natureali@...>
      > Subject: Re: [CALBIRDS] FYI: No Falcated Duck since December 19, 2012
      > Date: December 31, 2012 12:21:42 AM PST
      > To: John Sterling <jsterling@...>
      >
      > http://www.jesseshunting.com/forums/showthread.php/225471-So-can-we-shoot-this-one-(Falcated-Duck-Rare-Asian-Bird-Makes-Appearance-In-California)
      >
      > Yours in nature,
      >
      > Ali
      >
      > Alison Sheehey
      > PO Box 153
      > Weldon, CA 93283
      >
      > natureali@...
      > www.natureali.org
      > www.flickr.com/photos/natureali
      > 760-417-0268
      >
      > On Dec 30, 2012, at 9:16 PM, John Sterling <jsterling@...> wrote:
      >
      >> Wim,
      >> Thanks for letting us all know. I had assumed that it was still there.
      >>
      >> Now the question remains: where is it now?
      >>
      >> John
      >>
      >> John Sterling
      >>
      >> 26 Palm Ave
      >> Woodland, CA 95695
      >> 530 908-3836
      >> jsterling@...
      >>
      >> www.sterlingbirds.com (photos, classes, tours, county birding)
      >>

      >> On Dec 30, 2012, at 9:12 PM, Wim van Dam <wim.van.dam@...> wrote:
      >>
      >>> Just so you know: I just got an irate call from a fellow birder who
      >>> had driven from Santa Barbara County to Colusa NWR, only to discover
      >>> there that the Falcated Duck has not been seen there since December
      >>> 19. Obviously this is the kind of information that one would expect to
      >>> be shared on CALBIRDS.
      >>>
      >>> Wim van Dam (Solvang, CA)

      >> For vacation suspension of mail go to the website. Click on Edit My Membership and set your mail option to No Email. Or, send a blank email to these addresses:
      >> Turn off email delivery: mailto:CALBIRDS-nomail@yahoogroups.com
      >> Resume email delivery: mailto:CALBIRDS-normal@yahoogroups.com
      >>
      >> Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Todd
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 31, 2012
        Calbirders,

        I took a look at the posts to the board, and there were plenty of comments that talked about what a bad idea it would be to shoot the duck. Most of the other commnentary should probably be taken tongue-in-cheek. A certain amoount of bravado and teasing of the "tree huggers" is to be xpected in those circles. There are plenty of birders who don't particularly care about the bird, or who else gets to see it, as long as they get their photo or tick, so to place listers above hunters on the purity scale seems a bit precarious to me. I have quite a few reponsible hunting friends who love to tease me about what I do, and have made similar comments about rare ducks, in jest. We should all keep a sense of humor.

        It also bears remembering that Colusa would not exist without duck hunters. Just my two cents.....

        Todd McGrath
        SKUA@...
        Calabasas CA

        --- In CALBIRDS@yahoogroups.com, John Sterling <jsterling@...> wrote:

        > check out what a few duck hunters think about birders and the Falcated Duck.......
        >
        > Hopefully these opinions are in the minority, but it makes it difficult to toe the line in respecting hunters for "all that they do in promoting wetland/duck conservation".
        >
        > There is a hunter in Humboldt County that regularly checks the rare bird alert for rare ducks/geese, and then proceeds to shoot them for his trophy case. Seems like this may be more common around the state than we realize.
        >
        > > http://www.jesseshunting.com/forums/showthread.php/225471-So-can-we-shoot-this-one-(Falcated-Duck-Rare-Asian-Bird-Makes-Appearance-In-California)
        >
        > I would hope that Ducks Unlimited, California Waterfowl Association and Dept. of Fish and Game would try to educate these hunters to be better citizens.
        >
        > John
        >
        > John Sterling
        >
        > 26 Palm Ave
        > Woodland, CA 95695
        > 530 908-3836
        > jsterling@...
        >
        > www.sterlingbirds.com (photos, classes, tours, county birding)
        >

        > Begin forwarded message:
        >
        > > From: Ali Sheehey <natureali@...>
        > > Subject: Re: [CALBIRDS] FYI: No Falcated Duck since December 19, 2012
        > > Date: December 31, 2012 12:21:42 AM PST
        > > To: John Sterling <jsterling@...>
        > >
        > > http://www.jesseshunting.com/forums/showthread.php/225471-So-can-we-shoot-this-one-(Falcated-Duck-Rare-Asian-Bird-Makes-Appearance-In-California)
        > >
        > > Yours in nature,
        > >
        > > Ali
        > >
        > > Alison Sheehey
        > > PO Box 153
        > > Weldon, CA 93283
        > >
        > > natureali@...
        > > www.natureali.org
        > > www.flickr.com/photos/natureali
        > > 760-417-0268
        > >
        > > On Dec 30, 2012, at 9:16 PM, John Sterling <jsterling@...> wrote:
        > >
        > >> Wim,
        > >> Thanks for letting us all know. I had assumed that it was still there.
        > >>
        > >> Now the question remains: where is it now?
        > >>
        > >> John
        > >>
        > >> John Sterling
        > >>
        > >> 26 Palm Ave
        > >> Woodland, CA 95695
        > >> 530 908-3836
        > >> jsterling@...
        > >>
        > >> www.sterlingbirds.com (photos, classes, tours, county birding)

        > >> For vacation suspension of mail go to the website. Click on Edit My Membership and set your mail option to No Email. Or, send a blank email to these addresses:
        > >> Turn off email delivery: mailto:CALBIRDS-nomail@yahoogroups.com
        > >> Resume email delivery: mailto:CALBIRDS-normal@yahoogroups.com
        > >>
        > >> Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Chuq Von Rospach
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 31, 2012
          There are always a few people in any population that see things
          differently. Most hunters I know are pretty upstanding people who care as
          much about the birds and the environment as we do. Are there bad apples?
          sure.

          Just like there are birders who have no problem violating private property
          and refuge rules ("area closed? not for me!") to tick off a special bird.
          Or have no problem screwing up viewing for others or scaring off a bird to
          make sure they get the view.

          Just like there are bird photographers who'll harrass a bird off a nest to
          get the shot they want. Or pursue a bird and stress it out to the point it
          leaves the area or gets taken by a raptor because they were more interested
          in the shot than the bird.

          We don't know fi the falcated duck was taken by a hunter. Or if it finally
          got tired of people chasing it around trying to take its picture. Or if it
          met a nice lady duck and is off in another pond somewhere enjoying being
          hidden.

          I was down at Guadalupe Dunes yesterday trying to take pictures of the
          Snowy Plovers and watched the Ranger have to shag a pair of photographers
          who were harrassing the gull flock becaues they wanted pictures of the
          birds in flight, so they'd set up their shot and then went and chased the
          birds. And when she yelled at them to cut it out, they argued.

          Before we go pointing blame at the hunters, we should remember our own
          group have folks who do things that aren't necessarily what we like, or
          good for the birds we think we're caring for. Even if the hunters did take
          the falcated duck, it was probably a legal act, unlike, say, these people (
          http://www.chuqui.com/2012/01/how-not-to-be-a-doofus-with-a-camera/ ) I
          ran into at Merced a while back. And don't we all have horror stories of
          birders or bird photogs we've run into doing stupid or dangerous things?

          So let's not get into bitching about hunters, just because we dont' like
          hunting. It's just as valid a use of these resources as ours, and the vast
          majority of them are a lot more in sync with us than you might think.

          --
          Chuq Von Rospach - Photographer and Author with Opinions
          http://www.chuqui.com; chuqvr@...; chuqui@...; Twitter: @chuq