Birding List Digest (Sialia) and eBird

  • Chris Conard
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 31, 2012
      Folks,

      While this won't be news to the vast majority of Calbirds members, many new
      folks join and some out of state birders subscribe for short periods, so I
      figured it would be worth mentioning other sources of info on rare bird
      status.

      Rarities are often posted for a few days on Calbirds and then many updates
      or more detailed directions are posted local lists (maybe that shouldn't be
      the case, but it often is, so it is worth checking). Nearly all of the
      local/regional lists are available through the Birding List Digest (Sialia)
      (for California: http://digest.sialia.com/?region=2). Another great
      source that keeps getting better is eBird (Explore Data, then Range and
      Point Maps or Bar Charts).

      In light of the confusion over the status of the Falcated Duck in Colusa,
      these sources are worth checking, especially before making a long drive.

      All the best,

      Chris Conard
      Sacramento

    • Bob Toleno
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 1, 2013
        It's probably also worth mentioning that the American Birding Association
        compiles and publishes the postings from every bird email list in the US.
        It's on their website at:

        http://birding.aba.org

        It doesn't have any different info as sialia.com, but I find the interface
        at the ABA's website a little easier to use. YMMV.

        Happy new year,
        Bob Toleno
        San Francisco

        On Mon, Dec 31, 2012 at 6:57 AM, Chris Conard <conardc@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Folks,
        >
        > While this won't be news to the vast majority of Calbirds members, many new
        > folks join and some out of state birders subscribe for short periods, so I
        > figured it would be worth mentioning other sources of info on rare bird
        > status.
        >
        > Rarities are often posted for a few days on Calbirds and then many updates
        > or more detailed directions are posted local lists (maybe that shouldn't be
        > the case, but it often is, so it is worth checking). Nearly all of the
        > local/regional lists are available through the Birding List Digest (Sialia)
        > (for California: http://digest.sialia.com/?region=2). Another great
        > source that keeps getting better is eBird (Explore Data, then Range and
        > Point Maps or Bar Charts).
        >
        > In light of the confusion over the status of the Falcated Duck in Colusa,
        > these sources are worth checking, especially before making a long drive.
        >
        > All the best,
        >
        > Chris Conard
        > Sacramento

      • Kimball Garrett
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 1, 2013
          While on this subject, might I register my disappointment that the San Diego list serve, covering one of the most active and bird-rich areas in California, is still not covered on the ABA website -- apparently due to issues the SD listowner has with the ABA. Would it be too much to ask that such issues be set aside and the SD listserve archives be shared on the ABA site?

          Kimball L. Garrett
          Ornithology Collections Manager
          900 Exposition Blvd.
          Los Angeles, CA 90007 USA
          213-763-3368
          kgarrett@...
          http://www.nhm.org/site/research-collections/ornithology

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 1, 2013
            A plug must go to Christopher Taylor for his "Recent Rare Bird Sightings"
            tool that combines listserve reports as well as eBird entries. This
            includes a search function so you can locate every Falcated Duck post (or
            whatever you're looking for) in one fell swoop whenever it had been posted
            in any county, state or within the ABA area. While Sialia.com is great for
            archiving all the listserver messages, Chris's tool will give you all the
            specific birds. There is a user login required but it is free to use. It's
            an awesome resource.

            http://kiwifoto.com/rba/

            Jamie Chavez
            Santa Maria, CA