Re: [CALBIRDS] Possible SANDWICH TERN, Dockweiler Beach, Los Angeles Co.

  • dinuk magammana
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 29, 2012
      Hello,

      To add little more info if it helps.
      The bird was pretty big around the size of a elegant, it had a grayish shine to it. (it wasnt tiny like a foresters, or common)

      In the field the bill appeared to be black, but I did not see a yellow tip which is what making me hesitate.  (The bird was little far away though.)
      Soon as I saw the slender black bill Sandwich tern was what popped into my mind. Sandwich tern would be a lifer, so I dont have much experiences to rely on, this is all based on what I saw.
      I did consider the possibility of Elegant, but like I said I didnt see any orange on the bill to support that. The light seems even, no harsh light to create strong shadows.
      When I got home, I added a
      lot of fill light to the photo to see if I could pick up any hints of orange/yellow on the bill. But only black was to be seen.

      Like Dan mentioned, the face/cap marking looks little strange.  it doesnt match either bird.
      I was only able get 3 pictures with the bird showing. Only one picture is usable i guess.

      here is a link to the 3 pic.
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/nature_and_animals/8322640589/in/photostream

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/nature_and_animals/8322641015/in/photostream/

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/nature_and_animals/8322641423/in/photostream/

       Maybe its a good bird maybe its a common bird.  So comments are welcome.

      good birding.
      Dinuk Magammana.
      Torrance CA.

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 29, 2012
        I don't see why this is not a Forster's Tern

        John Sterling

        26 Palm Ave
        Woodland, CA 95695
        530 908-3836
        jsterling@...

        www.sterlingbirds.com (photos, classes, tours, county birding)

        On Dec 29, 2012, at 2:52 PM, dinuk magammana <dmagammana@...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > To add little more info if it helps.
        > The bird was pretty big around the size of a elegant, it had a grayish shine to it. (it wasnt tiny like a foresters, or common)
        >
        > In the field the bill appeared to be black, but I did not see a yellow tip which is what making me hesitate. (The bird was little far away though.)
        > Soon as I saw the slender black bill Sandwich tern was what popped into my mind. Sandwich tern would be a lifer, so I dont have much experiences to rely on, this is all based on what I saw.
        > I did consider the possibility of Elegant, but like I said I didnt see any orange on the bill to support that. The light seems even, no harsh light to create strong shadows.
        > When I got home, I added a
        > lot of fill light to the photo to see if I could pick up any hints of orange/yellow on the bill. But only black was to be seen.
        >
        > Like Dan mentioned, the face/cap marking looks little strange. it doesnt match either bird.
        > I was only able get 3 pictures with the bird showing. Only one picture is usable i guess.
        >
        > here is a link to the 3 pic.
        > http://www.flickr.com/photos/nature_and_animals/8322640589/in/photostream
        >
        > http://www.flickr.com/photos/nature_and_animals/8322641015/in/photostream/
        >
        > http://www.flickr.com/photos/nature_and_animals/8322641423/in/photostream/
        >
        > Maybe its a good bird maybe its a common bird. So comments are welcome.
        >
        > good birding.
        > Dinuk Magammana.
        > Torrance CA.
        >
        > ________________________________

      • dinuk magammana
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 29, 2012
          Hi,

          I did consider forster's. But the bird was looked bigger than a forster's, at least by  little bit.
          the bill is not the right shape for a Forster's. Forster's have a shorter bill, this one have a elongated, slender/skinny bill like what is expected of a elegant tern/ sandwich.
          I dont think its the angle creating that look because on both pic its shows that. Also in the field that is one of the things that caught my eye (I have also observed that foresters have a slightly fast wing beat, and this one had smooth, but deep wing strokes, kind of like how there is a difference between crows wing beat vs a raven)

          Top part of the face is covered by the wing so it is difficult to see it clearly on the given photos. But, I know that I did NOT observe a "eyepatch" on the bird on the field which would of pointed to a forster's. Which would of been pretty obvious to see.

          I have posted the pictures on Facebook group ID groups. Few people have noted the tail is wrong for a forster's tern.
          Few people with experience  supporting possible sandwich.

          I hope to hear from more birders with their thoughts:)
          (even if it in privet email)

          Thank everyone.

          Dinuk M.