Re: Common Crane in Modoc County 27 December

  • Rob Fowler
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 28, 2012
      Hi all,
      I just got a message from Steve Rottenborn who is in Modoc County right
      now. He said that Dominic Bachman, the Modoc NWR biologist, scoured the
      refuge and the rest of the valley south to Likely this morning (28 Dec.)
      and saw no cranes of any sort.

      Yesterday the birds were found in a field along the auto tour loop at the
      refuge yesterday (27 Dec.) from 3:30-3:50 p.m. and the COMMON CRANE was
      with an adult Sandhill and 2 immature cranes. The birds took off and flew
      to the south @ 3:50.

      --
      Rob Fowler
      McKinleyville, CA

    • debbieviess
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 30, 2012
        Surely this is the same bird as was seen last year in extreme N.CA?
        Escapee or far-flung traveler, it is not the first time that a common has hooked up with a sandy. Wonder if those chicks were hybrids?

        Glad that he or she found a friend/mate. Who observed these birds? Pretty easy to tell the sexes if you watch the behaviors when they are in pairs. Not to be sexist, but its the male who does most of the heavy lifting predator scans and aggression while his family feeds, etc.. Not to say that the females can't kick butt, too. Cranes do not back down!

        Debbie Viess