Common Crane in Modoc County 27 December

  • Rob Fowler
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 28, 2012
      Hi all,
      This morning a photo of a COMMON CRANE was posted on Facebook that was
      taken at the Modoc NWR in Modoc County yesterday, 27 December. I asked the
      refuge manager, who posted the photo (he didn't take it), if the bird is on
      public land and accessible. Waiting to hear back from him but once I hear
      whether or not it's chaseable I'll pass on that information.

      Thanks!

      --
      Rob Fowler
      McKinleyville, CA

    • Rob Fowler
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 28, 2012
        Hi all,
        I just got a message from Steve Rottenborn who is in Modoc County right
        now. He said that Dominic Bachman, the Modoc NWR biologist, scoured the
        refuge and the rest of the valley south to Likely this morning (28 Dec.)
        and saw no cranes of any sort.

        Yesterday the birds were found in a field along the auto tour loop at the
        refuge yesterday (27 Dec.) from 3:30-3:50 p.m. and the COMMON CRANE was
        with an adult Sandhill and 2 immature cranes. The birds took off and flew
        to the south @ 3:50.

        --
        Rob Fowler
        McKinleyville, CA

      • debbieviess
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 30, 2012
          Surely this is the same bird as was seen last year in extreme N.CA?
          Escapee or far-flung traveler, it is not the first time that a common has hooked up with a sandy. Wonder if those chicks were hybrids?

          Glad that he or she found a friend/mate. Who observed these birds? Pretty easy to tell the sexes if you watch the behaviors when they are in pairs. Not to be sexist, but its the male who does most of the heavy lifting predator scans and aggression while his family feeds, etc.. Not to say that the females can't kick butt, too. Cranes do not back down!

          Debbie Viess