AL the Laysan Albatross returns to Pt, Arena Cove MEN

  • mendocinorjk
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 27, 2012
      The Laysan Albatross nicknamed "Al" (although sex is undetermined as of yet)and is the mascot of Point Arena Cove community and surfers, has returned once again to seek peace and quiet in the cove. Foraging at sea, this bird routinely returns to the cove to rest and sleep during non-stormy periods. I rate chances of seeing this bird from the dock during it's normal winter stay of early December through mid March as about 50:50. If you choose to travel to Mendocino County to see this bird I suggest to plan on at least a two-day stay ...and check the cove every few hours during the day, and especially right before dusk.

      This year we feared that something may have happened to "Al" as we had no confirmed observation reported until recently. We were elated when the bird was reported on December 22nd. However, one visiting birder from Illinois (Donnie Dann) thought that he saw the bird fly by on the outside of the cove on December 3rd or 4th ... but was hesitant to count it as the bird had not yet been reported as "returned". Yesterday I was informed that a local Pt. Arena person did in fact see the bird on the water on December 6th by the buoy but did not know to report it to anyone. I think the bird avoided the cove for most of December due to stormy sea conditions (Pt. Arena cove is not a well-protected cove/dock).

      Also, Chuck Vaughn, who is the "gatekeeper" for eBird reports in Mendocino County, recently found out that Richard Redmond, formerly of Chico and now from Texas, saw a Laysan Albatross at Pt. Arena Cove on February 15, 1991 ... which pre-dates Tod Easterla's and Jim Booker's finding the bird in 1994 (assuming same bird). It is anyone's guess as to how long the bird has sought refuge at this local.

      Here is the history of this (assumed same) bird at Point Arena MEN:

      15 Feb 1991 reported on eBird by Richard Redmond in 2012.
      ????? to 28 February 1994 when first discovered by Todd Easterla and
      > Jim Booker – fed anchovies by Todd
      > 30 Nov 1994 to 27 Mar 1995 report of two birds in
      > synchronized flight beyond the "cove"
      > 5 Dec 1995 to 14 Mar 1996
      > 3 Dec 1996 to 26 Mar 1997
      > 27 Nov 1997 to 8 Mar 1998
      > 12 Dec 1998 to 21 Mar 1999
      > 4 Dec 1999 to 12 Feb 2000 with a fly-by-the-cove (same bird?)
      > on 2 Apr 2000 (G.Chaniot)
      > 26 Nov 2000 to 26 Feb 2001
      > 28 Nov 2001 to 24 Mar 2002
      > 21 Nov 2002 to 12 Mar 2003
      > 25 Nov 2003 to 28 Feb 2004
      > 28 Nov 2004 to 21 Feb 2005
      > 26-30 Nov 2005 to 19 Mar 2006
      > 25 Nov 2006 to 16 Mar 2007
      > 7 Dec 2007 to 5 Mar 2008
      > 22 Nov 2008 to 23 Mar 2009 5:26 PM
      > 18 Nov 2009 to 23 Mar 2010
      > 22 Nov 2010 to 28 March 2011
      5 Dec 2011 to 20 March 2012
      3 Dec 2012 to ?? ?? 2013 (confirmed Dec 6th)

      Since Laysan Albatross are so long-lived (50+ years) it is absolutely unknown as to how many years prior to 1991 that this bird may have been using Point Arena Cove un-noticed. Again, this is probably the only place on the west coast (WA/OR/CA) where one can reliably see this species with the observer standing on solid ground (not on a boat).
    • mendocinorjk
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 28, 2012
        Correction: The 1991 observation of a Laysan Albatross was off the Pt. Arena Lighthouse, whihc is two miles to the north of Pt. Arena Cove. However, "AL" has been known to fly past the lighthouse it its comings and goings from the cove. Todd's and Jim's 1994 discovery of "AL" in the cove is still the first observation of that assumed same bird that has used the cove annually. Happy Holidays. Bob Keiffer rjkeiffer@...