Gray Hawk

  • odenbaughtina@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 25, 2012
      Gray Hawk was present 12/24 @ 9:30 am on the west side of Santa Claus Lane. He was sitting on the top of a small Eucalyptus just beyond the last building heading north but before the thick bushes near the end of the road. Ravens were harassing him to no end and he was very agitated by them. He flew into the thick bushes to avoid the ravens.

      Tina Odenbaugh
      with Matt Fagan

      Sequoia National Park, CA
    • Guy McCaskie
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 25, 2012
        Tina,

        I believe Common Raven may be about as rare as the Gray Hawk in Carpinteria.

        Guy McCaskie

        Secretary CBRC

        guymcc@...

        _____

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 25, 2012
          Raven are rare but regular in the Carpinteria Valley itself, usually only seen while flying high over the valley. They become regular ounce you get off the valley floor and into the foothills (just over a mile from Santa Clause Lane). On the Carpinteria Bluffs in eastern Carpiteria a pair of Raven is regular year round. But yes, the birds mobbing the Gray Hawk were most likely Crow. Although I have heard a few people mention Raven mobbing this hawk.

          Eric Culbertson
          Carpinteria

          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 26, 2012
            Although I have seen Common Ravens in Carpenteria, in this case
            they were crows and not ravens. Just a typo, that's all. Thanks for catching it.

            Tina Odenbaugh
            Sequoia National Park