Santa Barbara, Ventura County rarities 12/22

  • Steven Tucker
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 22, 2012
      Spent a quality day of birding with Corey Finger.

      In Ventura, the Grace's Warbler was still present in its usual tree in Camino Real Park around 7:40 AM. See Venturacobirding for directions.

      Near the west end of Armour Ranch Road in Santa Barbara County, a large Horned Lark flock contained at least 3 Chestnut-collared Longspurs, including a boldly marked adult male. It is likely that there are additional longspurs in the flock; we had a candidate for McCown's but were never able to confirm it. This is the same location that held longspurs last winter and earlier this fall.

      Not so rare but still great to see were a pair of Golden Eagles perched in the same tree along Alisal Road, with a couple Yellow-billed Magpies also in attendance.

      At 4:40 PM we found the Gray Hawk along Santa Claus Lane, perched on a small Eucalyptus on the beach side of the road west of Salt. This was my third and only successful attempt at seeing this bird in the last 2 days.

      Good birding,

      Steve Tucker
      Daly City