Gyrfalcon in Tulare Co.

  • Bruce Webb
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 17, 2012
      As I was driving north on Hwy 99 at 2 pm today, I stopped at the Philip S Raine Roadside Rest Stop and scanned the fields and telephone poles to the west of Hwy 99. I saw a suspicious large, dark falcon on one of the poles along the road (Rd176).

      Directions: Take Exit 81 off Hwy 99 and go east briefly on Rd 184 then south on Rd 112 for 0.9 mi to Rd 176 which is opposite the Rest Stop.) Turn east onto Rd 176.

      It was sitting on the 10th pole along Rd 176. I took photos of this chocolatey-colored heavily-marked immature and will post them later. Locals confirmed this is in Tulare County.

      It resembles the immature Gyrfalcon found in Kings Co in 2007.

      This one is for you, Rich.

      Bruce Webb
      Granite Bay, CA