White Wagtail (more documentation)

  • Christopher Taylor
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 10, 2012
      To contribute to the already excellent documentation of the WHITE
      WAGTAIL in San Pedro, here are photos/video from this afternoon at
      Cabrillo Beach. He spent most of his time foraging between the sandy
      beach and rocks - at many times very close to a nearby Say's Phoebe and
      Yellow-rumped Warbler.

      http://kiwifoto.com/f/white_wagtail

      https://vimeo.com/55318655

      Cheers,

      Christopher Taylor
      Marina del Rey, CA
      http://kiwifoto.com
    • Christopher Taylor
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 11, 2012
        Doug Aguillard reports the White Wagtail is still present this (Tuesday
        12/11 ~10am) morning in the usual location at Cabrillo Beach.

        --
        Christopher Taylor
        Marina del Rey, CA

        To contribute to the already excellent documentation of the WHITE
        WAGTAIL in San Pedro, here are photos/video from this afternoon at
        Cabrillo Beach. He spent most of his time foraging between the sandy
        beach and rocks - at many times very close to a nearby Say's Phoebe and
        Yellow-rumped Warbler.

        http://kiwifoto.com/f/white_wagtail

        https://vimeo.com/55318655

        Cheers,

        Christopher Taylor
        Marina del Rey, CA
        http://kiwifoto.com

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Christopher Taylor
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 11, 2012
          I think Lee was speaking specifically about the lower madible gape on HY
          birds. The speculation is it's either M.a. ocularis or M.a. lugens. I've
          photographed HY M.a. lugens in Japan in Dec/Jan that are very similar to
          our bird here in San Pedro - but not quite as distinct wingbars as our
          bird.

          White Wags in UK are typically M.a. yarrellii while the ones in the rest
          of Western Europe are the nominate M.a. alba

          --
          Christopher Taylor
          Marina del Rey, CA