White Wagtail California Records

  • Joel Weintraub
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 8, 2012
      Referencing White Wagtail records in California accepted by the California
      Bird Records Committee and length of stay. Bernardo Alps found 12 such
      records from the California Bird Records Committee website (which I haven't
      duplicated) but the "Rare Birds of California" book by Hamilton, Patten and
      Erickson of the Bird Records Committee shows 26 accepted records as of the
      copyright of the book of 2007. Included within those records are sightings
      of Black-backed Wagtails that are now considered to be part of the White
      Wagtail species. Also stated by Bernardo on his recent Calbirds post is
      that the longest stay for the species in California was 75 days, but the
      White (Black-backed) Wagtail seen in Orange County in 1996 stayed for 79
      days.

      Joel Weintraub
      Dana Point, CA
    • Joseph Morlan
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 8, 2012
        On Sat, 8 Dec 2012 19:55:44 -0800, "Joel Weintraub" <orcorba@...>
        wrote:

        >"Rare Birds of California" book by Hamilton, Patten and
        >Erickson of the Bird Records Committee shows 26 accepted records as of the
        >copyright of the book of 2007. Included within those records are sightings
        >of Black-backed Wagtails that are now considered to be part of the White
        >Wagtail species.

        The online update to the CBRC book indicates there are 27 accepted
        records...

        http://www.californiabirds.org/cbrc_book/update.pdf

        Two photos by Kerry Ross are available on the WFO web site...

        http://www.westernfieldornithologists.org/

        Direct link...

        http://www.westernfieldornithologists.org/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=575

        Enjoy!
        --
        Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA
        "It turns out we're very good at not seeing things" - Jack Hitt
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 8, 2012
          Hi all.

          A query of the CBRC database brings up 12 records for White Wagtail, http://www.californiabirds.org/mydb.asp?species=white+wagtail&partial=on&sort=date&STARTDATE=&ENDDATE=&county= and nine records for Black-backed Wagtail, http://www.californiabirds.org/mydb.asp?species=black-backed+wagtail&partial=on&sort=date&STARTDATE=&ENDDATE=&county= . Since the update to Rare Birds of California doesn't mention Black-backed Wagtail, we can assume that it lumps both species under White Wagtail. There is a disclaimer that "certain pre-1997 records may be missing," from the CBRC database. In this case almost a quarter of the records are missing.

          Does anyone know the actual number of White Wagtail records? From the data available we can surmise that it is at least 12 and as high as 18.

          Take care,

          Bernardo

          >"Rare Birds of California" book by Hamilton, Patten and
          >Erickson of the Bird Records Committee shows 26 accepted records as of the
          >copyright of the book of 2007. Included within those records are sightings
          >of Black-backed Wagtails that are now considered to be part of the White
          >Wagtail species.

          The online update to the CBRC book indicates there are 27 accepted
          records...

          http://www.californiabirds.org/cbrc_book/update.pdf

          Two photos by Kerry Ross are available on the WFO web site...

          http://www.westernfieldornithologists.org/

          Direct link...

          http://www.westernfieldornithologists.org/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=575

          Enjoy!
          --
          Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA
          "It turns out we're very good at not seeing things" - Jack Hitt

          Bernardo Alps
          www.photocetus.com
          Whalephoto@...
          310.597.0449
          P.O. Box 1667
          San Pedro, CA 90733
        • Guy McCaskie
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 9, 2012
            Bernardo,

            The answer is YES - 27.

            Rare Birds of California (Hamilton et al 2007) lists 26 CBRC endorsed
            records (Rare Birds of California was published after the AOU "lumped" the
            Black-backed and White Wagtails). The Table of Records updated through 31
            October 2012 (see the CBRC website) lists one additional record. As such,
            the CBRC has endorsed 27 records.

            In cases like this, where the exact number of records for any given species
            is required, I recommend using the number listed in Rare Birds of
            California, the additional number listed in the updated Table of Records at
            the CBRC website, and any very recent records a query of the CBRC DataBase
            may show.

            Guy McCaskie

            Secretary CBRC

            guymcc@...

            _____

            >"Rare Birds of California" book by Hamilton, Patten and
            >Erickson of the Bird Records Committee shows 26 accepted records as of the
            >copyright of the book of 2007. Included within those records are sightings
            >of Black-backed Wagtails that are now considered to be part of the White
            >Wagtail species.

            The online update to the CBRC book indicates there are 27 accepted
            records...

            http://www.californiabirds.org/cbrc_book/update.pdf

            Two photos by Kerry Ross are available on the WFO web site...

            http://www.westernfieldornithologists.org/

            Direct link...

            http://www.westernfieldornithologists.org/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=575

            Enjoy!
            --
            Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA
            "It turns out we're very good at not seeing things" - Jack Hitt

            Bernardo Alps
            www.photocetus.com
            Whalephoto@... <mailto:Whalephoto%40earthlink.net>
            310.597.0449
            P.O. Box 1667
            San Pedro, CA 90733

          • Bob Barnes
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 9, 2012
              Hi,

              Although I ultimately do NOT know, I conclude the
              following based on my reading and understanding
              of the last sentence in Bernardo's recent email.

              I believe Bernardo is seeking the answer to the following question.

              Of the 27 accepted California White Wagtail
              records, how many were of the subspecies ocularis
              and how many of the black-backed subspecies lugens?

              Regardless, Continued Happy & Productive Birding!

              Bob Barnes, Ridgecrest, Kern County, California