Cabrillo Beach White Wagtail

  • Bernardo Alps
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 8, 2012
      Hi all.

      My original message was sent from my iPhone and was brief as I wanted to get the word out as quickly as possible.

      I was leading a bird walk for Whalewatch naturalists and first spotted the bird at approximately 09:15; we watched it for approximately 20 minutes before moving on. During this time, the bird moved several times along the entire length of the outer beach. When I returned at approximately 12:30, the group of birders looking for the bird was out of sight from the beach along the rocky shore on the bottom of the cliffs to the west of the beach. Just as I entered the fenced in trail to the tidepool area, the wagtail returned from around the bend, rested briefly on the rocks at the edge of the sand and then flew onto the sandy beach where it foraged and changed location a few times. It was very conspicuous while flying. I don't know when it was last seen.

      The California Bird Records Committee website lists 12 records for White Wagtail in the state, http://www.californiabirds.org/mydb.asp?species=white+wagtail&partial=on&sort=date&STARTDATE=&ENDDATE=&county= . The last occurance was in Santa Maria, Santa Barbara County, December 2009/January 2010. The only previous record for Los Angeles County is from Long Beach and is also the longest stay with 75 days from 11/04/1982 to 01/18/1983.

      Cabrillo Beach is in San Pedro, in far southern Los Angeles County, https://maps.google.com/maps?oe=UTF-8&ie=UTF-8&q=cabrillo+marine+aquarium&fb=1&gl=us&hq=cabrillo+marine+aquarium&hnear=cabrillo+marine+aquarium&cid=0,0,2603278261867397232&ei=0PfDUO2hCoKxywGC-YDwBQ&ved=0CKYBEPwSMAA . From the the end of the 110 freeway turn left (south) on Gaffey Street; after 25 blocks turn left on 22nd Street; after two blocks turn right on Pacific Avenue; at the first stoplight turn left on Stephen M. White Drive and the entrance to Cabrillo Beach will be on your left. You can park outside and walk in to avoid the parking fee but it can be crowded on weekends. The outer beach is on your right as you pass the entrance booths.

      There was some nice camera equipment on the beach today; good photos should be available soon. Dinuk Magammana has some outstanding ones at http://www.flickr.com/photos/nature_and_animals/8255222067/in/photostream/ .

      Take care,

      Bernardo

      Bernardo Alps
      www.photocetus.com
      Whalephoto@...
      310.597.0449
      P.O. Box 1667
      San Pedro, CA 90733
    • Ron Holland
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 9, 2012
        [Moderator note - Excessive quoting deleted]

        Wagtail still there from 7-9 am on Sunday.

        Sent from my iPhone