(fwd) Re: Gray Hawk

  • Joseph Morlan
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 4, 2012
      Forwarded by request....

      Not good news.

      On Wed, 05 Dec 2012 02:36:41 -0000, "sbnl@..."
      <sbnl@...> wrote:

      A few days ago, I saw the news article about the Grey Hawk in the
      Carpinteria Coastal View News. This morning at about 9:45 we were outside
      in the Padaro Lane area and heard a loud thud and this bird dropped almost
      at our feet. He hit a large window. I recognized it as the bird in the
      article (at least it sure looks like the one). Here are some photos that
      may help you with identification. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/90777227@N03/

      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 4, 2012
        Oops!

        Never mind. I should have looked more closely at the images. It's a dead
        Cooper's Hawk, not the Gray Hawk.

        <sbnl@...> wrote:

        A few days ago, I saw the news article about the Grey Hawk in the
        Carpinteria Coastal View News. This morning at about 9:45 we were outside
        in the Padaro Lane area and heard a loud thud and this bird dropped almost
        at our feet. He hit a large window. I recognized it as the bird in the
        article (at least it sure looks like the one). Here are some photos that
        may help you with identification. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

        http://www.flickr.com/photos/90777227@N03/

        --- In sbcobirding@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Morlan <jmorlan@...> wrote:

        > The Gray Hawk was still present Monday 3 December between 1pm and 1:30pm in
        > the Eucalyptus behind the Padaro Beach Grill on Santa Claus Lane.
        >
        > Photos at...
        >
        > http://fog.ccsf.edu/~jmorlan/GrayHawkP1050607.htm
        >
        > It also hunted briefly from the small park just west of the restaurant.
        >
        > Earlier it had been seen across the freeway near the Seaside Gardens on Via
        > Real.
        >
        > On Mon, 03 Dec 2012 17:49:35 -0800, Glenn Kincaid <glenn@...> wrote:
        >
        > >I ran into a couple of fellows from San Francisco this morning at Bella
        > >Vista Open Space, where we found the GRACE'S WARBLER. They had driven
        > >down to see the Gray Hawk, and they had been successful. I would guess
        > >they would have seen it between 8 and 9 AM.
        > >
        > >Glenn Kincaid
        > >San Marcos Pass
        > >
        > >On 12/3/2012 5:26 PM, Michael D. Stiles wrote:
        > >>
        > >> I haven't seen any reports of the hawk today, and no negative reports.
        > >> Anyone know the status of that bird today?
        > >>
        > >> Mike Stiles
        > >> Los Osos

        > --
        > Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA
        > "It turns out we're very good at not seeing things" - Jack Hitt

        --
        Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA
        "It turns out we're very good at not seeing things" - Jack Hitt
      • Ali Sheehey
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 4, 2012
          Glad to see it is not the Gray Hawk, but it is a reminder to all who are chasing the bird to not approach too closely so this doesn’t happen to our star bird! I hope to bring my Santa Barbara County list from 0 to many while visiting this amazing vagrant.

          Ali Sheehey
          Weldon, CA

          Looks like a Cooper's Hawk to me! Sad to see but at least it wasn't the
          Gray Hawk.

          --
          Christopher Taylor
          Marina del Rey, CA