Re: [CALBIRDS] Anyone out there looking for Mottled Petrels?

  • Steve Hampton
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2012
      FYI, using funds from an oil spill in California, we eradicated rats a few
      years ago from the Big South Cape Islands in New Zealand (see report at
      https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.ashx?DocumentID=41023&inline=true)

      The aim was to restore Sooty Shearwaters. However, Mottled Petrels also
      nest there in large numbers and I heard the other day they seemed to be
      coming back strong.

      On Sat, Dec 1, 2012 at 6:38 PM, Brian Sullivan <heraldpetrel@...>wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Birders
      >
      > I did a bit of seawatching between storms here at Pt. Pinos in Pacific
      > Grove this morning. In windless conditions there were excellent numbers of
      > birds offshore, especially Northern Fulmars. I'm wondering if anyone else
      > is seeing good numbers from shore?
      >
      > I was hoping to find a Mottled Petrel today (I know, long shot), but hear
      > me out. This year there were unprecedented flights at St. Paul Island, one
      > day with several thousand birds. Check out this report:
      >
      > http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S11419953
      >
      > Several were also seen recently from Boiler Bay in Oregon during a good
      > seabird flight. These strong Pacific storms can displace tubenoses toward
      > shore, but unfortunately there seems to be relatively little wind with
      > these last three storms--at least here in Monterey. What I'm looking for
      > are really strong northwesterlies following one of these big systems, as
      > those are the conditions that produce big seabird flights at Pt. Pinos. If
      > we get those, I think there's a reasonable chance for Mottled Petrel from
      > shore if people put in the time looking. I don't see much wind in the
      > marine forecast for the following week, but I'll be keeping an eye on it!
      > Here's my full checklist from today:
      >
      > Thanks
      >
      > Brian
      >
      > --
      > ===========
      > *Brian L. Sullivan
      >
      > eBird/AKN Project Leader *
      > www.ebird.org
      > www.avianknowledge.net
      >
      > *Photo Editor*
      > Birds of North America Online
      > http://bna.birds.cornell.edu/BNA
      > North American Birds
      > www.americanbirding.org

      Steve Hampton
      Davis, CA

    • Don Roberson
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2012
        FWIW, the lone Mottled Petrel seen from shore in Monterey Co. was at Pt. Pinos in early Dec. See
        http://creagrus.home.montereybay.com/MTYsitesPtPinos2.html
        (bird #3) for details. So this is actually a pretty good idea . . .

        Don Roberson
        Pacific Grove CA
      • Nick & Mary Freeman
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 2, 2012
          Hi Birders

          At 1:15pm, Nick and I came across the immature GRAY HAWK as it was perched on the purple clothing store shack "Salt" roof located on the west side of 101 in Carpinteria, CA at the Santa Claus Lane exit. It seems to hunt along the Amtrak train tracks since we've arrived. It's not raining at this moment. Great early birthday CA state bird present!

          We just spoke with a birder and said the hawk was just on the inland side across the 101 from here! Ooh, it's here again!

          Happy CBCs!

          Mary Freeman
          Glendale, CA

          Sent from my iPhone