Anyone out there looking for Mottled Petrels?

  • Brian Sullivan
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2012
      Birders

      I did a bit of seawatching between storms here at Pt. Pinos in Pacific
      Grove this morning. In windless conditions there were excellent numbers of
      birds offshore, especially Northern Fulmars. I'm wondering if anyone else
      is seeing good numbers from shore?

      I was hoping to find a Mottled Petrel today (I know, long shot), but hear
      me out. This year there were unprecedented flights at St. Paul Island, one
      day with several thousand birds. Check out this report:

      Several were also seen recently from Boiler Bay in Oregon during a good
      seabird flight. These strong Pacific storms can displace tubenoses toward
      shore, but unfortunately there seems to be relatively little wind with
      these last three storms--at least here in Monterey. What I'm looking for
      are really strong northwesterlies following one of these big systems, as
      those are the conditions that produce big seabird flights at Pt. Pinos. If
      we get those, I think there's a reasonable chance for Mottled Petrel from
      shore if people put in the time looking. I don't see much wind in the
      marine forecast for the following week, but I'll be keeping an eye on it!
      Here's my full checklist from today:

      Thanks

      Brian

      --
      ===========
      *Brian L. Sullivan

      eBird/AKN Project Leader *
      www.ebird.org
      www.avianknowledge.net

      *Photo Editor*
      Birds of North America Online
      http://bna.birds.cornell.edu/BNA
      North American Birds
      www.americanbirding.org
    • Steve Hampton
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2012
        FYI, using funds from an oil spill in California, we eradicated rats a few
        years ago from the Big South Cape Islands in New Zealand (see report at
        https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.ashx?DocumentID=41023&inline=true)

        The aim was to restore Sooty Shearwaters. However, Mottled Petrels also
        nest there in large numbers and I heard the other day they seemed to be
        coming back strong.

        On Sat, Dec 1, 2012 at 6:38 PM, Brian Sullivan <heraldpetrel@...>wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Birders
        >
        > I did a bit of seawatching between storms here at Pt. Pinos in Pacific
        > Grove this morning. In windless conditions there were excellent numbers of
        > birds offshore, especially Northern Fulmars. I'm wondering if anyone else
        > is seeing good numbers from shore?
        >
        > I was hoping to find a Mottled Petrel today (I know, long shot), but hear
        > me out. This year there were unprecedented flights at St. Paul Island, one
        > day with several thousand birds. Check out this report:
        >
        > http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S11419953
        >
        > Several were also seen recently from Boiler Bay in Oregon during a good
        > seabird flight. These strong Pacific storms can displace tubenoses toward
        > shore, but unfortunately there seems to be relatively little wind with
        > these last three storms--at least here in Monterey. What I'm looking for
        > are really strong northwesterlies following one of these big systems, as
        > those are the conditions that produce big seabird flights at Pt. Pinos. If
        > we get those, I think there's a reasonable chance for Mottled Petrel from
        > shore if people put in the time looking. I don't see much wind in the
        > marine forecast for the following week, but I'll be keeping an eye on it!
        > Here's my full checklist from today:
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Brian
        >
        > --
        > ===========
        > *Brian L. Sullivan
        >
        > eBird/AKN Project Leader *
        > www.ebird.org
        > www.avianknowledge.net
        >
        > *Photo Editor*
        > Birds of North America Online
        > http://bna.birds.cornell.edu/BNA
        > North American Birds
        > www.americanbirding.org

        Steve Hampton
        Davis, CA

      • Don Roberson
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 1, 2012
          FWIW, the lone Mottled Petrel seen from shore in Monterey Co. was at Pt. Pinos in early Dec. See
          http://creagrus.home.montereybay.com/MTYsitesPtPinos2.html
          (bird #3) for details. So this is actually a pretty good idea . . .

          Don Roberson
          Pacific Grove CA
        • Nick & Mary Freeman
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 2, 2012
            Hi Birders

            At 1:15pm, Nick and I came across the immature GRAY HAWK as it was perched on the purple clothing store shack "Salt" roof located on the west side of 101 in Carpinteria, CA at the Santa Claus Lane exit. It seems to hunt along the Amtrak train tracks since we've arrived. It's not raining at this moment. Great early birthday CA state bird present!

            We just spoke with a birder and said the hawk was just on the inland side across the 101 from here! Ooh, it's here again!

            Happy CBCs!

            Mary Freeman
            Glendale, CA

            Sent from my iPhone