more Gray Hawk information

  • Barbara Carlson
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 26, 2012
      There has been some good information posted on this afternoon's Gray Hawk
      happenings, and some slight misinformation. I would echo the words of Dan
      Cooper (especially) and Ron Hirst on how a large number
      of birders might successfully look for the bird without flushing it
      excessively and be safe and courteous in the process while on busy streets
      and driveways and borderline private property--and folks should read their
      posts. Also, please be aware that the coast and Highway 101 here in the
      Santa Barbara/Ventura region go EAST-WEST, not north-south, so the bird
      ranged from just WEST of the Padaro/Santa Claus exit (both sides of 101) to
      1/4 mile east of that exit, also on both sides of 101. The bird perched on
      utility poles, utility lines, on low fences, and (usually low) in trees. It
      usually didn't stay too long at any one spot. Also be aware that the bird is crossing back and forth over busy Highway
      101, and at least once was seen to come VERY close to being struck by a
      truck. So the fewer times it is flushed across the highway, the better!
      Just stand back and use a scope! Also, one post stated the bird was not seen after about 1:30PM or so, but
      many of us watched it off and on between about 1:15 and 2:30PM. (Lots of
      "offs" and some "ons".) I departed around 2:45 so don't know all the
      details after that.

      --Paul Lehman, San Diego