Re: [CALBIRDS] Trumpeter Swans, San Joaquin Co.

  • Bruce Webb
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 26, 2012
      Mark:

      Identifying Trumpeter Swans from Tundra Swans can be difficult,
      especially if they are not side by side to see the differences. And,
      attempting to identify swans from a photo is even more difficult.

      But, I think the swans in your photos appear to be Tundras. They do not
      have the thick necked, heavy head shape, long-billed profile or facial
      feather pattern of a Trumpeter.

      At the Central Vally Birds Yahoo Groups website page, I temporarily
      inserted a useful photo of a Trumpeter near a Tundra Swan that shows the
      size of the head, neck and bill differences.

      Members of CVBirds can access photo albums on the web site which has a
      Trumpeter Swan Album with more photos.

      Perhaps others will chime in with opinions.

      --

      Bruce Webb
      Granite Bay, CA