Trumpeter Swans, San Joaquin Co.

  • Mark Rauzon
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 25, 2012
      Trumpeter Swans, adult and young, were also seen at Isenberg Crane Reserve on Woodbridge Road, San Joaquin Co. on Friday, 11/23/12

      http://rauzon.zenfolio.com/p989996334/h4cfa78d0#h4cfa78d0

      Mark J. Rauzon
      Laney College
      Geography Dept.
      900 Fallon St.
      Oakland, CA 94607
      mjrauz@...

    • Bruce Webb
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 26, 2012
        Mark:

        Identifying Trumpeter Swans from Tundra Swans can be difficult,
        especially if they are not side by side to see the differences. And,
        attempting to identify swans from a photo is even more difficult.

        But, I think the swans in your photos appear to be Tundras. They do not
        have the thick necked, heavy head shape, long-billed profile or facial
        feather pattern of a Trumpeter.

        At the Central Vally Birds Yahoo Groups website page, I temporarily
        inserted a useful photo of a Trumpeter near a Tundra Swan that shows the
        size of the head, neck and bill differences.

        Members of CVBirds can access photo albums on the web site which has a
        Trumpeter Swan Album with more photos.

        Perhaps others will chime in with opinions.

        --

        Bruce Webb
        Granite Bay, CA