Lassen National Park Red Crossbill and Evening Grosbeak flight call types

  • Lance Benner
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 28, 2012
      Hi Everyone,

      To follow up on my message from a few days ago, I used the Raven Lite
      software to generate sonograms of the crossbill and grosbeak recordings
      I got at Lassen National Park and at the Subway Lava Tube nearby in
      Lassen National Forest last weekend. It turns out that all the
      crossbills were type 2s (at Summit Lake, the Devastation Area parking
      lot, and at the lava tube). The evening grosbeaks at the lava tube were
      flight call type 1s.

      On the morning of Oct. 17 we also found red crossbills at Tahoe Meadows
      along route 431 in Nevada and evening grosbeaks at the entrance to Lake
      Tahoe State Park (also in Nevada). Both sites are close to the
      California state line. In contrast with the crossbills near Lassen
      National Park, the crossbills at Tahoe Meadows were type 5s. The
      evening grosbeaks on Oct. 17 were a mixture of type 1s and type 2s.

      Regards,

      Lance Benner
      Altadena, CA