Red-necked Grebe Imperial County 10-20-2012

  • Bob Miller
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 20, 2012
      Hi all,

      Guy McCaskie found an immature RED-NECKED GREBE on Fig Lagoon in western Imperial County late this afternoon. I was able to get sad but identifiable digiscope pics of the bird in the middle of the lake. The bird had drifted away from the main flock and as Guy drove away I looked back into my scope and the bird was gone!? Searched the entire lake for an hour and never did relocate it. I doubt that it flew out and think it began actively feeding as had many of the Western and Clark's Grebe that it was with.

      A lone Common Loon showed up just before I left at about 5:45pm.

      Pictures can be viewed at http://blog.southwestbirders.com/?p=44

      (!__!)
      (0V0) HAPPY BIRDING
      {}~~{} BOB MILLER