YELLOW-THROATED WARBLER, Eel River Humboldt County, Oct 20th, 2012

  • Robert Hewitt
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 20, 2012
      Birders,

      Today during Fall Area Searches, Meghan Still found a YELLOW-THROATED WARBLER along the Eel River at Sandy Prairie Bar, across from Fortuna.
      It was the "white-lored race" with the white supercillium and white patch behind the ear, and bright yellow throat. It was with the chickadee flock and using the bigger tree trunks and limbs of the cottonwoods. We both saw the bird as did Daryl Coldren and Matt Wachs who got out there around 1pm, we couldn't relocate it latter that afternoon and evening.

      From Fernbridge, take Waddington left through the farmland to Grizzly Bluff Road, take a left to East Ferry Road, (on the left at a dogleg) which drops down onto the Eel River. Head downstream, north, for about 1.5 miles along the bumpy gravel road. E bird will be the best bet for exact location, but the tallest cottonwood stand is adjacent to the Eel River main stem where the divided river rejoins north of Canevari Island and the gravel operations.

      Yours Rob Hewitt, Arcata