Yellow-bellied Flycatcher - Huntington Beach Central Park, Huntington Beach, CA

  • Monte
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 15, 2012
      sorry for cross posting as I posted on Orange County Birding Yahoo groups but for information here it is:

      Earlier this afternoon, Todd Easterla had found and photographed a
      Yellow-bellied Flycatcher at Huntington Beach Central Park. A number of birders
      converged and were unable to re-find the bird. At least until approximately 6:15
      pm when Norman Moorhatch (spelling not sure?) found the bird nearly in the same
      spot that Todd had it last.

      If you were to look for it in the morning, you can park in either the "Slater
      Street" parking lot (Slater Street) or at the "Cafe" parking lot on Goldenwest.
      From the 'Cafe' parking lot if you were to drive straight in without turning and
      right into a parking slot (not the street side of the parking lot) you would get
      out of your vehicle and follow the paved trail (your left sitting in your
      vehicle) that goes north toward the Nursery / Gardening business on the corner
      of Goldenwest / Slater. The paved walking trail bends 90 degrees to the right
      at that apex. Just back from that corner and in the Alders on the other side of
      the creek is where Todd had found it initially and we saw it just before dark.

      Hopefully it will stay put tonight. Look in the Alders but also just behind you
      in the Eucalyptus trees as you are looking across the creek (fairly dry) at the
      Alders as it's been seen there as well and actually flew to just as it got too
      dark to watch any longer tonight.

      Questions feel free to email me as well 'tsuru88@...'.

      Monte Taylor
      (re-found by Norman Moorhatch and then myself and the Turleys (again spelling
      not sure of - but it was their 33rd Wedding Anniversary and a state bird for
      them - congrats go out and happy anniversary too)