Re: [inlandcountybirds] Possible Varied Bunting at Horse Thief Spring

  • Thomasabenson@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 11, 2012
      I have posted several photos and a video of the mystery bunting at Horse Thief Springs from this morning (11 Oct). I have several more but do not have the time to post them now. Brad may post more later as well. The link to my Flickr page is below. Opinions and comments welcome.

      Tom Benson
      San Bernardino, CA

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/40928097@N07/

      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 11, 2012
        For those unfamiliar with Horse Thief Springs, the road to it from either direction (Tecopa or I-15/Cima Road) is long and mostly unpaved, but passable in a passenger vehicle, though you definitely want to take it slow in some places. Also, top off your gas tank in Baker or Shoshone as it is a long drive to Horse Thief from any direction with no nearby services. The Spring have three parts: a small upper (north) spring, a medium sized side (west) spring, and the large main (south) spring. In the center of all these is an abandoned cabin. If you were to stand underneath the willow or cottonwood just in front of this cabin and look west or southwest, you would see an open area with lots of low growing (a few inches) vegetation, and a small dry gully running along the base of a hill from the side spring to the main spring. This is where the bunting was seen both yesterday and today: in the small gully and on the low vegetation just above the gully. A good strategy would be to stand underneath the cottonwood or willow in front of the cabin with your scope and wait for it to come in to feed on the seeding vegetation. It was quite cooperative and content to feed in this vegetation for extended periods of time.

        Tom Benson
        San Bernardino, CA

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 11, 2012
          Thanks to a generous contribution from Stephen J. Myers an additional image
          is at

          http://www.westernfieldornithologists.org/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=553

          Enjoy!

          On Thu, 11 Oct 2012 18:45:16 -0400 (EDT), Thomasabenson@... wrote:

          >For those unfamiliar with Horse Thief Springs, the road to it from either direction (Tecopa or I-15/Cima Road) is long and mostly unpaved, but passable in a passenger vehicle, though you definitely want to take it slow in some places. Also, top off your gas tank in Baker or Shoshone as it is a long drive to Horse Thief from any direction with no nearby services. The Spring have three parts: a small upper (north) spring, a medium sized side (west) spring, and the large main (south) spring. In the center of all these is an abandoned cabin. If you were to stand underneath the willow or cottonwood just in front of this cabin and look west or southwest, you would see an open area with lots of low growing (a few inches) vegetation, and a small dry gully running along the base of a hill from the side spring to the main spring. This is where the bunting was seen both yesterday and today: in the small gully and on the low vegetation just above the gully. A good strategy would be to stand
          >underneath the cottonwood or willow in front of the cabin with your scope and wait for it to come in to feed on the seeding vegetation. It was quite cooperative and content to feed in this vegetation for extended periods of time.
          >
          >Tom Benson
          >San Bernardino, CA

          Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA
          "It turns out we're very good at not seeing things" - Jack Hitt
        • coddlers@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 12, 2012
            Detailed directions to Horse Thief Spring please.

            Bruce Barrett
            Connected by DROID on Verizon Wireless