Trip Reports: Oct 6 & 7, 2012

    Howdy, Birders, Trip reports and photographs for Shearwater Journeys s October 6 pelagic trip departing from Monterey and October 7 departing from Half Moon
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 9, 2012
      Howdy, Birders,

      Trip reports and photographs for Shearwater Journeys's October 6 pelagic trip departing from Monterey and October 7 departing from Half Moon Bay can be found at:

      Abe Borker's images of the Monterey trip, Oct 6th, including images of the killer whale activity are at:

      Highlights were many! The marine weather was especially great with flat, calm, even glassy seas and warm temperatures. Hundreds of BLACK-VENTED SHEARWATERS have can be seen, nearshore in Monterey, while a few are outside of the harbor at Half Moon Bay. One highlight of the Monterey trip was KILLER WHALES eating a prey item, possibly a Dall's Porpoise that we had seen only minutes earlier. (More images to come!). Highlights on the Half Moon Bay trip included 3 MARBLED MURRELETS, LEATHERBACK SEA TURTLE, a RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH 31 miles offshore (clear day), fabulous flocks of BULLER'S and PINK-FOOTED SHEARWATERS, and two or three BAIRD'S BEAKED WHALES at the 1000 fathom line. We traveled 41 miles offshore to 60 degree water!

      Our last trips of the fall season are as follows:
      OCT 14 Monterey Bay
      OCT 26 Bodega Bay
      OCT 28 Half Moon Bay
      NOV 20 Half Moon Bay

      If weather/sea conditions permit, we hope to make if offshore on the Half Moon Bay trips, in particular, with hopes of finding Cook's or Mottled Petrels. This is also a good time of year to find other rare petrels, such as Parkinson's and White-chinnned. Late October is a good time for Short-tailed Albatross. Roll the dice!

      For a glance back at our September 30th Farallones Islands trip, see Bruce Hallett's images at:

      Real birds eat squid,
      Debi Shearwater

      Shearwater Journeys, Inc.
      PO Box 190
      Hollister, CA 95024

      Birding Down Under: SubAntarctic Islands, November 10 - 28, 2014 with Debi