Farallones Update, 9/30 through 10/6

  • Dan
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 7, 2012
      Highlights:

      GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GOOSE
      RUDDY DUCK
      FLESH-FOOTED SHEARWATER
      NORTHERN GANNET
      WHITE-TAILED KITE
      PECTORAL SANDPIPER
      *GRAY-CHEEKED THRUSH*
      OVENBIRD
      TENNESSEE WARBLER
      CHESTNUT-SIDED WARBLER
      BLACK-THROATED BLUE WARBLER
      WESTERN PALM WARBLER
      PRAIRIE WARBLER
      BLACK-THROATED GREEN WARBLER
      CLAY-COLORED SPARROW
      BREWER'S SPARROW
      VESPER SPARROW
      WHITE-THROATED SPARROW
      YELLOW-HEADED BLACKBIRD
      BALTIMORE ORIOLE

      Hello CalBirders,

      The PRBO Conservation Science crew continues Fall migration monitoring on
      Farallon National Wildlife Refuge. Last week showed fairly good conditions for migrants, the best day being thursday (light SW winds and 10-20 mile visibility), which produced the best two birds of the week. Here are the highlights from last week:

      A lone GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GOOSE visited the island on 10/3.

      The RUDDY DUCK found last week continued through saturday, and was was seen nearly every day.

      One FLESH-FOOTED SHEARWATER was seen during a seawatch on 10/4.

      The NORTHERN GANNET has been seen every day, with the exception of 10/5. It has taken to roosting on Sugar Loaf, an islet on the North side of the island.

      Two WHITE-TAILED KITES made the journey out to the Farallones for a quick fly-by on 10/1.

      A single PECTORAL SANDPIPER was seen on 9/30.

      The bird of the week was a GRAY-CHEEKED THRUSH found in a mist net on 10/4.

      One OVENBIRD was seen last week 9/30 - 10/1.

      Three TENNESSEE WARBLERS were observed last week. One continued from the previous week, and two more were seen on 10/4.

      One CHESTNUT-SIDED WARBLER was seen on 10/6.

      We banded a BLACK-THROATED BLUE WARBLER on 10/4.

      Many more WESTERN PALM WARBLERS are finding their way to the island. At least one has been seen every day, with a high count of four individuals on 10/6.

      One PRAIRIE WARBLER from last week continued through 9/30, but hasn't been seen since.

      Probably the second best bird of the week, a single BLACK-THROATED GREEN WARBLER was on island all day on 10/4.

      CLAY-COLORED SPARROWS have been seen daily, with a high count of four on 10/4 and 10/5.

      One BREWER'S SPARROW was banded on 10/3.

      At least one VESPER SPARROW has been seen daily over the last week, with a high count of three on 10/5.

      On 10/3, we got our first WHITE-THROATED SPARROWS of the fall. Of the two seen on 10/3, one continued through 10/6.

      One YELLOW-HEADED BLACKBIRD made a brief appearance at the lighthouse on 10/3, but was not seen again.

      Yet another BALTIMORE ORIOLE (4th of the fall) was found on 10/4. We still have not seen a single Bullock's.

      To see photos of some of the birds in this report, or to learn more about how this year's Farallonathon went, visit the PRBO Conservation Science Farallones blog:

      <http://losfarallones.blogspot.com/> (updated frequently), or just for photos, visit my picasa web album:

      <https://picasaweb.google.com/101314872386852188220/SEFITHROUGH10612>

      Cheers and good birding,

      Dan Maxwell, Luke Musher, Kristie Nelson, Maggie Spilatro, Nora Livingston, Sophie Webb, and Jim Tietz,

      Southeast Farallon Island
      San Francisco, CA