Re: [CALBIRDS] Fwd: Common Cuckoo, Watsonville Slough

  • Desert Iguana
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 3, 2012
      Was the bird seen today, Wednesday October 3rd?

      Thomas Miko (Mi'ko' Tama's)
      Mobile: 909.241.3300
      Claremont, Los Angeles County, California

      ***********************************************************************************************************************************
      "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."
      (Daniel Patrick Moynihan)

      Oct 3, 2012 10:23:50 AM, brooke-bam@... wrote:

      Hi,

      It was just pointed out to me that my cuckoo photo does not come thru on Calbirds. Here is a link to the photo:

      http://idbirds.smugmug.com/Birding/2012-10-02-Common-Cuckoo-etc/i-g9bpRjv/0/XL/MG1557-XL.jpg

      Sorry for the inconvenience.

      Brooke Miller
      Los Altos

      Begin forwarded message:

      > From: Brooke Miller

      > Subject: Common Cuckoo, Watsonville Slough
      > Date: October 2, 2012 1:18:28 PM PDT
      > To: Monterey Bay Birds , CALBIRDS@yahoogroups.com
      >

      > Hi,
      >
      > Mary Ann Allen and I went down to find the cuckoo this morning. We arrived at Ramsay Park nature center at just after 7:30, and headed down the slough trail. There were already a couple birders there who had not yet seen it. It was not seen until around 9 am by some others, but not Mary Ann and I. We were summoned over to the spot by Caroline Lambert who called my cell phone. We quickly moved there but didn't see it. Around 9:30 it was seen between the trail and the slough, closer to the nature center than where it had been seen earlier today and yesterday, and we all ran back there and got some decent views. Unfortunately the lighting was bad for photos as the bird was in the shade in the willows. The spot we all saw it is shown on the Google maps location I've linked to.
      >
      > Here is the Google maps location:
      >
      > http://goo.gl/maps/abKaE
      >

      > Brooke Miller
      > Los Altos, CA

      Yahoo! Groups Links
    • Scott Smithson
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 3, 2012
        To my knowledge, the cuckoo was not seen today, as of 2:30pm.
        -Scott Smithson

        From: Desert Iguana <thomas.miko@...>
        Date: Wednesday, October 3, 2012 2:47 PM
        To: <brooke-bam@...>
        Cc: <CALBIRDS@yahoogroups.com>
        Subject: Re: [CALBIRDS] Fwd: Common Cuckoo, Watsonville Slough

        Was the bird seen today, Wednesday October 3rd?

        Thomas Miko (Mi'ko' Tama's)
        Mobile: 909.241.3300
        Claremont, Los Angeles County, California

        DI0NjQEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDY1Nzg3BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA2dmcARzdGltZQMxMzQ5MzAwODQy>
        Switch to: Text-Only
        <mailto:CALBIRDS-traditional@yahoogroups.com?subject=Change Delivery Format:
        Traditional> , Daily Digest
        <mailto:CALBIRDS-digest@yahoogroups.com?subject=Email Delivery: Digest> €
        Unsubscribe
        <mailto:CALBIRDS-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe> € Terms
        of Use <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>

        .

      • Bob & Carol Yutzy
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 3, 2012
          Hello all,

          It has been reported that as of this afternoon at least to 2 or 2:30 pm
          the Cuckoo was not seen in spite of intense searching by 40+ birders.

          We drove 2/3 of the way there until finally receiving a report that the
          bird was not being seen today.

          Please remember that negative information (such as the bird was not
          seen) is still important for those of us who missed this bird and to the
          record keeping of this sighting.

          Good Birding to All,

          - Bob & Carol Yutzy Shasta, CA