Farallones Update, 9/23 through 9/29

  • ropepushercuz
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30, 2012
      Highlights:

      RUDDY DUCK
      NORTHERN GANNET
      SANDERLING
      PECTORAL SANDPIPER
      WILLOW FLYCATCHER
      LEAST FLYCATCHER
      *ARCTIC WARBLER*
      OLIVE-BACKED SWAINSON'S THRUSH
      OVENBIRD
      TENNESSEE WARBLER
      AMERICAN REDSTART
      MAGNOLIA WARBLER
      CHESTNUT-SIDED WARBLER
      BLACKPOLL WARBLER
      BLACK-THROATED BLUE WARBLER
      WESTERN PALM WARBLER
      PRAIRIE WARBLER
      CLAY-COLORED SPARROW
      VESPER SPARROW
      BOBOLINK
      BALTIMORE ORIOLE

      Hello CalBirders,

      The PRBO Conservation Science crew continues Fall migration monitoring on
      Farallon National Wildlife Refuge. The past seven days have been dominated by heavy fog with irregular periods of decent visibility. During these short fogless periods, we managed quite a few bird arrivals, including a few excellent birds like Arctic Warbler and Ruddy Duck.
      Here are the highlights from last week:

      The first RUDDY DUCK seen on the Farallones in over a decade was found at East Landing on 9/27, and continues through Sunday.

      The NORTHERN GANNET has been seen every day, with the exception of 9/24 due to thick fog which likely hid the bird from sight.

      The previously reported SANDERLING was seen once on 9/23, but has not been seen since.

      PECTORAL SANDPIPERS continue on a nearly daily basis. Two were seen on 9/23, and a single bird was seen on 9/24, and 9/27-9/29.

      The WILLOW FLYCATCHER banded last week continued on the island through 9/24.

      One LEAST FLYCATCHER banded on 9/23was not seen again after 9/24.

      The highlight of the week was an *ARCTIC WARBLER* found in a mistnet on the afternoon of 9/29. The bird was banded and seen for an additional hour on island, but has not been seen since that time.

      One OLIVE-BACKED SWAINSON'S THRUSH was captured on 9/27.

      Two OVENBIRDS were seen last week. The first was found on 9/25, and the second was banded on 9/27.

      On 9/29, one TENNESSEE WARBLER was banded.

      One female-type AMERICAN REDSTART was banded on 9/24.

      One MAGNOLIA WARBLER was seen on 9/25, and a second was banded on 9/29

      One CHESTNUT-SIDED WARBLER was banded on 9/28, and a second bird was seen the next day, 9/28.

      A BLACKPOLL WARBLER banded on 9/25 was joined by a second bird on 9/28. On 9/29, one more blackpoll was seen, for a total of 3 seen last week.

      The first BLACK-THROATED BLUE WARBLER of the fall (a female) was found on 9/29.

      Many WESTERN PALM WARBLERS have found their way to the island over the last week, with our FOF arriving on 9/26. On 9/27, there was still a single palm, but on 9/28, five individuals were seen, and three of them were banded. On 9/29 four were still present.

      The PRAIRIE WARBLER from last week continued and was joined by a second bird (a stunning AHY male) on 9/29.

      At least three CLAY-COLORED SPARROWS were seen last week (three were banded).

      At least one VESPER SPARROW has been seen daily over the last week, with two being seen on 9/29.

      A single BOBOLINK was found on 9/23, but was not re-found on the following days.

      Our third BALTIMORE ORIOLE of the fall was banded on 9/29. Amazingly, zero Bullock's Orioles have been seen on the island this fall.

      On 9/29, we started the annual island Birdathon (AKA The Farallonathon), which will last for seven days, and consists of our team observing as many species of birds, sharks and other animals to receive points toward our Farallonathon total. To learn more about how you can donate to our team, to see photos of some of the birds in this report, or to simply keep track of our Farallonathon points, visit the PRBO Conservation Sciences Farallones blog:

      <http://losfarallones.blogspot.com/> (updated frequently),

      or just for photos, visit my picasa web album:

      <https://picasaweb.google.com/101314872386852188220/SEFITHROUGH92912>

      Cheers and good birding,

      Dan Maxwell, Luke Musher, Kristie Nelson, Maggie Spilatro, and Jim Tietz
      Southeast Farallon Island
      San Francisco, CA