Gray Catbird in Del Norte County

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 29, 2012
      This morning about 10 am, I found a Gray Catbird on Church Tree Road just out of Crescent City. It was dark gray with a black cap and rufous undertail coverts. It was unmistakable. It was making cat like calls for most of the time I watched it. I called Alan Barron and he came down and observed it also. He confirmed it as a Catbird and said it was long overdue for the county. We observed it until about 11:15 and got photos.

      It was about 100 yards down Church Tree Rd from Elk Valley Rd on the right side (south)of the road. It was going back and forth in some small trees and brush along the fence. Occassionaly, it crossed over to the other side of the road. It responded well to both recorded calls and pishing.

      Elk Valley Road goes east off of Hwy 101 at the 1st stoplight as you are coming into town from the south. It is also possible to access Elk Valley Rd if you are coming into Crescent City from the north on Hwy 101 on Elk Valley Cross Rd going east.

      Dave Bengston
      Battery Point Lighthouse for 2 more days,
      then Ukiah after 10/1.
      Cell Tel 707-367-7454
      Battery Point Lighthouse 707-464-3089