Santa Cruz Co. COMMON CUCKOO: better directions, details

  • Scott Smithson
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 28, 2012
      Bird was still being seen as of 2pm...very skitty.
      -Scott Smithson

      >> From: stephengerow@...
      >> Date: September 28, 2012 2:01:37 PM PDT
      >> To: mbb@...
      >> Subject: Re: [MBB] Possible Common Cuckoo
      >>

      >> Thanks, Rich for posting our report.
      >> Just to fill in some details on the location, the bird was just off the Ford St./Kearney Street loop, where it borders Watsonville Slough. This reached from Walker Street, a left turn if you are coming from the south (Beach Street) end, and left from the north (Walker Street becomes Harkins Slough Road just a bit to the north of this area). We saw it in a grove of willows across from Farmer's Cold Storage. Part of the grove had been cut, and there is a lot of wood on the ground.
      >> Lois Goldfrank spotted it first, and by the time we had some idea what we were looking at, it flew off toward the slough, but then returned, and we had better views. Wendy Naruo got some good photos, which I will post when I get them from her later.
      >> The bird was around Flicker sized in length but more slender, orange-rufous above, whitish below, extensively barred on the back, tail, and the underparts. It was a long, slender bird with a very long tail, and long pointed wings that extended about halfway down the tail. The head shape and bill looked similar to North American cuckoos, but the bill was much smaller, the wings longer, and the rufous upperparts and extensive barring was very different. At this point we believe it to be a Common Cuckoo, as the rump appeared plain unbarred rufous, and the barring above and below did not seem especially wide. Good luck!
      >> Steve Gerow (with Lois Goldfrank, Wendy Naruo, Tim Jolly, Jeff Wall, Sue Dummler, Norm Kikuchi, Beth Polvino)

    • dinuk magammana
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 28, 2012
        Hello,

        I just came across a link to the bird through the Facebook group.
        here it is,for those of you haven't seen the picture yet.

        https://picasaweb.google.com/steve.gerow/September28201202

        Dinuk Magammana
        Torrance, Los angles, CA.

        ________________________________
        Bird was still being seen as of 2pm...very skitty.
        -Scott Smithson

        >> From: stephengerow@...
        >> Date: September 28, 2012 2:01:37 PM PDT
        >> To: mbb@...
        >> Subject: Re: [MBB] Possible Common Cuckoo
        >>

        >> Thanks, Rich for posting our report.
        >> Just to fill in some details on the location, the bird was just off the Ford St./Kearney Street loop, where it borders Watsonville Slough. This reached from Walker Street, a left turn if you are coming from the south (Beach Street) end, and left from the north (Walker Street becomes Harkins Slough Road just a bit to the north of this area). We saw it in a grove of willows across from Farmer's Cold Storage. Part of the grove had been cut, and there is a lot of wood on the ground.
        >> Lois Goldfrank spotted it first, and by the time we had some idea what we were looking at, it flew off toward the slough, but then returned, and we had better views. Wendy Naruo got some good photos, which I will post when I get them from her later.
        >> The bird was around Flicker sized in length but more slender, orange-rufous above, whitish below, extensively barred on the back, tail, and the underparts. It was a long, slender bird with a very long tail, and long pointed wings that extended about halfway down the tail. The head shape and bill looked similar to North American cuckoos, but the bill was much smaller, the wings longer, and the rufous upperparts and extensive barring was very different. At this point we believe it to be a Common Cuckoo, as the rump appeared plain unbarred rufous, and the barring above and below did not seem especially wide. Good luck!
        >> Steve Gerow (with Lois Goldfrank, Wendy Naruo, Tim Jolly, Jeff Wall, Sue Dummler, Norm Kikuchi, Beth Polvino)

      • Don Roberson
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 28, 2012
          I've just posted an initial set of photos of this Cuculus cuckoo from @ 2 pm this afternoon. It seems reasonable to believe this is a hepatic Common Cuckoo, but the photos are posted before any research undertaken. Comments on i.d. from those with experience is very welcome. Don Roberson

          Page of photos is at
          http://creagrus.home.montereybay.com/CAbirdsCOCU.html
        • Graham CHISHOLM
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 1, 2012
            Any update on whether the Common Cuckoo is being seen today, Monday,
            October 1st? Thanks.

            Graham Chisholm

            --
            Graham Chisholm
            c. 510-409-6603

          • Steve Hampton
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 1, 2012
              it was reported on eBird several hours ago

              Steve Hampton, Ph.D.
              ________________
              Resource Economist
              Office of Spill Prevention and Response
              California Dept of Fish and Game
              PO Box 944209
              Sacramento, CA 94244-2090
              -----------------------------------
              (916) 323-4724 phone
              (916) 324-8829 fax

              >>> Graham CHISHOLM <graham.chisholm@...> 10/1/2012 11:05 AM >>>
              Any update on whether the Common Cuckoo is being seen today, Monday,
              October 1st? Thanks.

              Graham Chisholm

              On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 4:41 PM, Don Roberson <creagrus@...>wrote:

              > **
              >

              > I've just posted an initial set of photos of this Cuculus cuckoo from @ 2
              > pm this afternoon. It seems reasonable to believe this is a hepatic Common
              > Cuckoo, but the photos are posted before any research undertaken. Comments
              > on i.d. from those with experience is very welcome. Don Roberson
              >
              > Page of photos is at
              > http://creagrus.home.montereybay.com/CAbirdsCOCU.html

              --
              Graham Chisholm