The Best Is Yet To Come: September & October Pelagic Trips

  • DEBRA SHEARWATER
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 4, 2012
      Hello, Birders,

      We are approaching the peak of fall seabird migration � the best is yet to come! Shearwater Journeys has more pelagic trips departing from more ports along the central coast of California than anyone. And, we have been doing this for 36 fall seasons, longer than anyone else in California. Does it matter? Well, as I will be on board for every single trip, (except Sep 28), this program allows me to get a large "picture" of the seabird distribution that is just not otherwise possible. For instance, to date, Cassin's Auklets are most abundant on Bodega Bay, Farallon Islands and Half Moon Bay trips. Marbled Murrelets are best observed on our Half Moon Bay departures, being virtually absent on Monterey Bay departures. Fork-tailed Storm-Petrel numbers are by far at the top on the Bodega Bay departures, numbering in the thousands. Rare seabirds are, well, rare, and I tend not to make a list of them, except to say that Shearwater Journeys' trips have discovered many seabird records new to the State of California, North America and the Northern Hemisphere.

      Please note that on board all of the trips, I will have the newest and monumental seabird publication, "Petrels, Albatrosses & Storm-Petrels of North America" by Steve N.G. Howell, in collaboration with J. Brian Patteson, Kate Sutherland and Debra L. Shearwater. There has never been a publication such as this for North America. And, as one Danish birder who purchased the copy said to me, "It will be helpful for those sea birders on the other side of the Atlantic, too." Of course, if you are on board a trip with Steve, he'll be happy to autograph your copy of this much-needed ID guide.

      Below, you'll find our comprehensive line up of trips and leaders:

      SEP 7, MONTEREY BAY with Brian Sullivan, Jennifer Green, Rick Fournier, Debi Shearwater - available
      SEP 8, ALBACORE GROUNDS with Scott Terrill, Abe Borker, Ben Thompson, Debi Shearwater - 4 spaces available
      SEP 9, HALF MOON BAY with Scott Terrill, Debi Shearwater, TBA - 3 spaces available
      SEP 10, HALF MOON BAY with Al de Martini, Christian Schwarz, Debi Shearwater - available
      SEP 11, MONTEREY BAY with Clay Kempf, Rick Fournier, Debi Shearwater - limited spaces available
      SEP 12, MONTEREY BAY with Abe Borker, Dena Spatz, Christian Schwarz, Debi Shearwater - 4 spaces available
      SEP 13, MONTEREY SEAVALLEY (Debi's birthday) with Jennifer Green, Steve Howell, Debi Shearwater - available
      SEP 14, MONTEREY BAY with Jennifer Green, Christian Schwarz, Debi Shearwater - available
      SEP 15, MONTEREY SEAVALLEY with Dave Pereksta, Debi Shearwater, TBA - available
      SEP 16, MONTEREY BAY with Dave Pereksta, Scott Terrill, Linda Terrill, Debi Shearwater - available
      SEP 21, BODEGA CANYON with Steve Howell, Peter Pyle, Todd McGrath, Lisa Hug, Debi Shearwater - available
      SEP 22, HALF MOON BAY with Todd McGrath, Scott Terrill, Linda Terrill, Debi Shearwater - available- good for photography
      SEP 23, HALF MOON BAY with Todd McGrath, Debi Shearwater - available - good for photography
      SEP 27, BODEGA CANYON with Peter Pyle, Lisa Hug, Jim Danzenbaker, Scott Terrill, Linda Terrill, Debi Shearwater- SOLD OUT, WAIT LIST AVAILABLE
      SEP 27, BODEGA PHOTO TRIP- SOLD OUT, WAIT LIST AVAILABLE
      SEP 28, MONTEREY BAY with Jennifer Green, Rick Fournier, Christian Schwarz
      SEP 30, FARALLON ISLANDS with Peter Pyle, Russ Bradley, Annie Schmidt, Debi Shearwater - SOLD OUT, WAIT LIST FULL, SORRY

      OCT 1, HALF MOON BAY with Peter Pyle, Scott Terrill, Linda Terrill, Debi Shearwater - SOLD OUT, WAIT LIST AVAILABLE
      OCT 6, MONTEREY BAY with Clay Kempf, Jennifer Green, Debi Shearwater - available
      OCT 7, HALF MOON BAY with Debi Shearwater, TBA - available
      OCT 14, MONTEREY BAY with Clay Kempf, Rick Fournier, Debi Shearwater - available
      OCT 26, BODEGA CANYON with Lisa Hug, Debi Shearwater, TBA - available
      OCT 28, HALF MOON BAY with Todd McGrath, Debi Shearwater, TBA - available
      NOV 20, HALF MOON BAY with Todd McGrath, Debi Shearwater, TBA - available

      That's one incredible program of trips. We welcome all on board, from beginners to seasoned "salts." Do we have fun? Shearwater Journeys practically invented "pelagic fun"!

      I will be on board all of these trips, except Sep 28th, where I'll be attending the Western Field Ornithologists' Meeting. Please reach me by email, as I'll either be standing on a boat, or driving to a boat trip most days.

      Few, very few, people and even birders witness the fall seabird migration along the West Coast. Last year, 1,350 birders joined our trips. Much like visiting High Island, Texas or Cape May, New Jersey, the seabird migration is quite the event! Don't miss out, jump on board! For more information, please see the Shearwater Journeys' web site and my blog.

      Shearwaters forever,
      Debi

      DEBRA SHEARWATER
      Shearwater Journeys, Inc.
      PO Box 190
      Hollister, CA 95024
      831.637.8527
      debi@...
      www.shearwaterjourneys.com
      www.shearwaterjourneys.blogspot.com

      Birding Down Under: SubAntarctic Islands, November 10 - 28, 2014 with Debi