Farallones Update, 8/27 -9/1

  • Dan
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 2, 2012
      Hello birders,

      The fog, clouds, and wind were relatively cooperative on Southeast Farallon Island on Friday and Saturday, bringing a small amount of migrants on those days, with a few good birds(and one excellent record).

      Highlights include:

      NORTHERN GANNET
      PECTORAL SANDPIPER
      SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPER
      SABINE'S GULL
      YELLOW-BELLIED FLYCATCHER
      WILLOW FLYCATCHER
      INDIGO BUNTING
      HUTTON'S VIREO
      PURPLE MARTIN
      BLUE-GRAY GNATCATCHER
      ROSE-BREASTED GROSBEAK
      BOBOLINK

      The NORTHERN GANNET continues to be seen daily, still at the two previously mentioned roosts.

      A PECTORAL SANDPIPER was briefly seen on 8/28.

      One SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPER was found on 8/31, and continued through at least 9/1.

      A lone SABINE'S GULL was observed flying by the island during a sea watch on 8/31.

      The juvenile YELLOW-BELLIED FLYCATCHER found on the island yesterday, 9/1 is the earliest record ever for California (by only 2 days).

      A WILLOW FLYCATCHER first seen on the 28th was banded on 8/31.

      The INDIGO BUNTING first seen on 8/25 remains on the island this morning.

      A HUTTON'S VIREO found yesterday, 9/1 is an irregular fall migrant for the Farallones.

      4 PURPLE MARTINS were found flying around the lighthouse yesterday, 8/1.

      A BLUE-GRAY GNATCATCHER was banded yesterday. This is another bird that is common on the coast but infrequently makes its way to the island.

      One ROSE-BREASTED GROSBEAK made a quick stop on the island on 8/31, before flying back to the mainland.

      One BOBOLINK was seen for two days from 8/31 through 9/1.

      Southerly winds are forecasted later in the week, so hopefully we will be getting a significant amount of birds in the near future.

      To see the happenings on SEFI, and for photos of notable birds, you can visit our PRBO Conservation Science Island blog <losfarallones.blogspot.com> which we will update periodically.

      I will also post photos to my picasa photo albums, the latest of which you can see at <https://picasaweb.google.com/101314872386852188220/FarallonesPhotosThrough9112>

      Good birding,

      Dan Maxwell, Jim Tietz, Elizabeth Ames, and Jay Wright
      Southeast Farallon Island, San Francisco