RE: [CALBIRDS] White Ibis present Sunday 9/2 with access advice

  • Koonce, Sandy
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 2, 2012
      If anyone else is going to look for this bird, I encourage you to follow Stan Walens' directions on Calbird, which I repost below. It's relatively easy access to the ponds, and there is no mud. Best viewing is from the east dike (walk around in a clockwise direction to avoid the south dike that is overgrown with thorny plants). The ibis flock spent most of the time in the northwest corner of the more southerly of the two ponds with water in it, very hard to see through the thick tamarisks on the west dike.

      "Walk the road west from the gate, which will be locked on Sunday and Monday; there is a walk-in entrance on the left side of the gate.
      Walk about 250 yards, until you see the 20 mph traffic sign.
      At that point, there is a gap in the fence big enough to get through. Chain link fence; don't wear your silk birding vest.
      It enters the area at the southern end of the northern pond."

      Sandy

      Sandy Koonce
      Department of Mathematics
      University of Redlands, Redlands, CA 92373
      sandy_koonce@...