Big Wilson's Warbler fallout on SCI

  • HeraldPetrel@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , May 12, 2002
      Birders

      The birding was quite spectacular on San Clemente Island today. The big
      story was a tremendous fallout of Wilson's Warblers. Literally hundreds
      (personal obs.) and probably thousands were island-wide today using any patch
      of vegetation that was remotely green (not to mention the two that managed to
      find there way into our office!). In addition to the WIWA were lots of
      common migrants WETA, BHGR, WAVI, OCWA, TOWA, HEWA--as well as a single
      Olive-sided Flycatcher, several Western Wood-Pewees, a Cliff Swallow, and a
      Black-and-White Warbler. Nothing too rare but a spectacular day of birding
      nonetheless. If we get a similar weather pattern in another two weeks maybe
      we'll start finding some vagrants! Last night was the first calm night in a
      while. I should have been out there listening! On that note, has anyone
      ever heard Red or Red-necked Phalaropes at night? If so, I'd love to hear
      what they sound like.

      thanks

      Brian Sullivan
      Institute for Wildlife Studies