5/25 socal deepwater Pterod hunt

  • Mitch H
    Message 1 of 1 , May 12, 2002
      Hey birdhunters!

      Ptwo weeks pto Pterodromas....we hope!

      May 25 will be the last chance this spring in socal to go Pterodroma hunting! Join us on the amazing Condor Express from Santa Barbara and explore the deepwaters along and off the edge of the continental shelf. Never before have we been able to get to these waters with the comfort, ease, and confidence we now have. We are able to transect 150-250 miles (depending on seas), out over 2 mile deep waters, instead of the 50 we used to do. Speed and stability heretofore unknown in CA.

      Last month we were about 95 statute miles off Pt. Conception! And we DID SEE Pterodroma! A Murphy's Petrel is a wonderful thing to see! A year ago, last April, we saw a Dark-rumped Petrel there! We've had Cook's Petrel there, and Red-tailed Tropicbird. It is another world. Come have a peek-see..... It is the best place
      to hunt 5-star rarities in socal. I've rung up an easy 30 Laysans there in about 7 years...

      The main four species this trip is targeting, and for which this trip has better than average chances for finding are: Laysan Albatross, Cook's and Murphy's Petrels, and Horned Puffin. Anything could happen.

      Due to the combination of an incredible vessel, the fantastic Captains, and things like Sperm Whales, there were people on the last trip who weren't even birders that said it was the most incredible day they ever had..... It is true adventure....

      The trip is $175, and does not include meals you buy from the full galley. My website has lots of info about the trips, the boat, a mail-in sign up form, the April 27 trip report, at: http://www.angelfire.com/ca5/pelagics/CEPAGES.html
      the socal seabird abundance calendar gives you a rough idea of what occurs when, please check it before asking me what is there what month...
      and THANKS! :):):) It's pretty accurate...

      and, www. Condorcruises.com has more info

      Or call Sealanding to make a reservation at
      805-963-3564. We depart S.Barbara at 5 a.m., and return about 9 p.m..

      Come boldly bird where few have ever birded....
      Where rare birds are more common than committee members.
      :):):)

      see ya asea
      Mitch - Torrance,CA
      Mitch Heindel