Epic pelagic out of Half Moon Bay!

  • Alvaro Jaramillo
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 25, 2012
      Hi folks,

      Today we started off the day with a dream, that all things could come
      together - good weather, warm water, getting off the shelf, and tuna - and
      that something surprising might show up in this confluence of parameters.
      Often all seems lined up, and things don't pan out, this time they did!

      Our trip headed to warm water offshore, but what was surprising for a
      boat trip was that we found a high concentration of storm petrels but inside
      of the shelf. This was wonderful, the first big concentration of storm
      petrels we had seen this fall. But also odd was that the storm petrels were
      foraging, not sitting on the water, they were actively feeding - something
      they tend to do at night. But more surprising was that in this flock of 800
      or so Ashy, there were plenty of Blacks, and amazingly a large number of
      Wilson's Storm-Petrels. We were seeing them right and left, which is
      incredibly unusual, as a good day for Wilson's is just a handful. Instead
      that first flock had over 30 individuals, as well as a few Fork-tailed
      Storm-Petrels for our fourth Storm-Petrel of the day. An even larger flock a
      few miles off had a greater proportion of Ashy, but our Wilson's number
      climbed to at least 44, although we felt that there were likely over 50 of
      them in the area. This needs confirmation but seemed like potentially a
      record breaker number for California.

      Farther along we picked up South Polar Skua, Black-footed Albatross, our
      first of TWO (yes 2) Laysan Albatross, and by now three shearwaters (Sooty,
      Pink-footed, and a few Buller's). Then we hit luck catching an Albacore tuna
      which of course was quite exciting. But then Matthew Dodder spotted the bird
      of the day - HAWAIIAN PETREL! We had good views behind the boat, before the
      bird flew closer and beside the boat.

      http://rauzon.zenfolio.com/p873910623/h40203d80#h40203dc0

      Alvaro Jaramillo

      alvaro@...