Re: [CALBIRDS] Red-crowned Parrots

  • Kimball Garrett
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2001
      At 09:37 AM 8/1/01 -0700, Russell Scalf wrote:

      >I just asked if anything is known about the natural history of Red-crowned
      Parrots in California.

      >What food resources are they exploiting? Where are they nesting?
      >
      > -Rusty Scalf

      Rusty:

      As always, Western Birds is the best place to check for natural
      history information on birds of the region. See v. 28 no. 4 (1997)
      which is almost entirely devoted to parrot populations in
      California, including two papers by Karen Mabb on nesting and
      roosting of parrots (particularly Red-crowned Parrots) in the
      San Gabriel Valley and a multi-authored paper on foods of naturalized
      parrot populations.

      We've learned a lot since that publication, with various
      studies in the works that will ultimately be published.

      -- Kimball
      Kimball L. Garrett
      Ornithology Collections Manager
      900 Exposition Blvd.