Possible male & females Broad-tailed Hummingbirds in Trinity County?

  • bobandcarolredding
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 19 10:26 AM
      On Friday while returning back from Eureka we stopped at the Straw House Cafe (really great food & coffees by the way) in Big Flat and at their hummer feeders was a good collection of hummers. Rufous/Allens female types were there with several Anna's male and female types.

      We also noted 1-2 larger than Anna's female types of selasphorus hummers with heavy spotting throughout the throat area, longer billed and longer tailed birds that we think were possibly Broad-tailed Hummers. We also briefly saw a garnet throated bird with no color on the cap that may well have been a male. The color was not Anna's type coloring but had more rose red or lipstick red coloration.

      Would appreciate comments from others if they happen to be going by the area.

      We think Broad-tailed Hummers are rare but regular migrants through the foothills of Shasta County next door to the East of Trinity County.

      Bob & Carol Yutzy
    • brdnrd59
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 22 1:56 PM
        I watched the feeders for 2-1/2 hours this morning and saw no Selasphorus that showed an eyering, limited rufous in the tail, or pronounced tail projection or looked longer-billed, though some looked just as large as some of the Anna's that were also present.

        It would be an interesting location for a banding station.

        Ken Burton
        McKinleyville