Re: [CALBIRDS] Re: Nene in CA

  • Guy McCaskie
    Message 1 of 3 , May 11, 2002
      The more up to date A GUIDE TO THE BIRDS OF MEXICO AND NORTHERN CENTRAL
      AMERICA by Steve N. G. Howell and Sophie Webb (Oxford University Press,
      1995) points out the fact that the validity of this record has been
      questioned, and that they (Howell and Webb) consider the record almost
      certainly based on a mislabeled specimen, so relegate it to hypothetical
      status. I believe the Nene is relatively common in captivity and is
      non-migratory. As such, to me an escapee would appear to be far more likely
      than a genuine vagrant anywhere outside of Hawaii. Even the majority of
      those in Hawaii are from captive stock.

      Guy McCaskie
      954 Grove Avenue
      Imperial Beach, CA 91932
      TEL 619-423-7524

      Message 2 of 3 , May 11, 2002
        Dear All,
        Thanks to everybody who replied to my message about the status of
        nene in CA. I didn't expect people to take it so seriously. Of
        course, the bird in question is almost certainly an escapee. I just
        wanted to point out that we should be careful not to forget about
        this "almost".
        Vladimir Dinets