Mississippi Kite @ Dairy Mart Ponds continues 8/2

  • Steven Tucker
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2, 2012
      I arrived at Dairy Mart Ponds around 0730 this morning to find Guy McCaskie and Jan Nordenberg already looking at the bird. We watched it for quite some time as it sat and preened and occasionally sallied out to catch insects. Around 0850 it left its perch for good and headed southeast; I'm not sure if it was located afterwards.

      If anyone plans on going for this bird in the coming days, I would recommend getting there early and finding it while its perched. This morning it was ~100 yards west of the main parking area, south of the trail. Since Mississippi Kites do much of their foraging on the wing I imagine it would be more difficult to find later in the day.

      Some photos are here: http://seagullsteve.blogspot.com/2012/08/mississippi-kite-dairy-mart-ponds.html

      Guy also spotted a Solitary Sandpiper flying over, and I noticed the sod farms across the street have some standing water and could potentially attract shorebirds.

      Good luck,

      Steve Tucker
      San Diego, CA