Manx Shearwater off the Palos Verdes Peninsula

  • Bernardo Alps
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 30, 2012
      Hi all.

      Sunday (July 29, 2012) at approximately 6 p.m., I had a Manx Shearwater less than a mile southwest of White's Point on the southern Palos Verdes Peninsula. The bird was part of a foraging aggregation with Long-Beaked Common Dolphins, Elegant Terns and Sooty Shearwaters.

      I was on a very successful whale watching trip aboard Harbor Breeze Cruises' Christopher out of Rainbow Harbor in Long Beach. We exited the breakwater through Angel's Gate and headed west to an area three miles off Point Vicente where we got good looks at least a dozen Blue Whales and a Minke Whale. The Blue Whale numbers have been building over the past two weeks and, if the last couple of years are any indication, might stay through the fall. I was on the boat hoping to see a Sperm Whale that I had spotted from shore last Wednesday and that had been reported in the area again Sunday, but we never found it. Researchers conducting a cetacean behavioral response study have a satellite tag on this whale at the moment and have confirmed that it is Mango, an individual that has been observed in our area for many years.

      There was a huge feeding aggregation of Elegant Terns and Sooty Shearwaters close to shore stretching out for a couple of miles. Four Pomarine Jaegers were in nice fresh plumage and had full spoons. I only saw two Black-vented Shearwaters.

      Take care,

      Bernardo

      Bernardo Alps
      Whalephoto@...
      310.597.0449

      Comments: Open party whale watching trip aboard the Christopher out of Rainbow Harbor in Long Beach. From Angel's Gate west to a point about three miles sw of Point Vicente and back.

      10 species (+2 other taxa)

      Sooty Shearwater 250
      Manx Shearwater 1 photos
      Black-vented Shearwater 2