Re: Nene in CA

  • vdinets
    Message 1 of 3 , May 11, 2002
      Dear All,
      A case of natural vagrancy of Nene to CA would not be something
      unique. According to Mexican Birds by Peterson & Chalif, there is a
      record of a vagrant koloa Anas wyvilliana from Mazatlan (page 21 in
      1987 edition). If a duck can do it, why not a goose? In fact, geese
      have as strong a tendency to join other species' flocks as ducks.
      Vladimir Dinets
      www.hotcity.com/~vladimir
    • Guy McCaskie
      Message 2 of 3 , May 11, 2002
        The more up to date A GUIDE TO THE BIRDS OF MEXICO AND NORTHERN CENTRAL
        AMERICA by Steve N. G. Howell and Sophie Webb (Oxford University Press,
        1995) points out the fact that the validity of this record has been
        questioned, and that they (Howell and Webb) consider the record almost
        certainly based on a mislabeled specimen, so relegate it to hypothetical
        status. I believe the Nene is relatively common in captivity and is
        non-migratory. As such, to me an escapee would appear to be far more likely
        than a genuine vagrant anywhere outside of Hawaii. Even the majority of
        those in Hawaii are from captive stock.

        Guy McCaskie
        954 Grove Avenue
        Imperial Beach, CA 91932
        TEL 619-423-7524

        > A case of natural vagrancy of Nene to CA would not be something
        > unique. According to Mexican Birds by Peterson & Chalif, there is a
        > record of a vagrant koloa Anas wyvilliana from Mazatlan (page 21 in
        > 1987 edition). If a duck can do it, why not a goose? In fact, geese
        > have as strong a tendency to join other species' flocks as ducks.
        > Vladimir Dinets
        > www.hotcity.com/~vladimir

        Membership and set your mail option to No Email.

      • vdinets
        Message 3 of 3 , May 11, 2002
          Dear All,
          Thanks to everybody who replied to my message about the status of
          nene in CA. I didn't expect people to take it so seriously. Of
          course, the bird in question is almost certainly an escapee. I just
          wanted to point out that we should be careful not to forget about
          this "almost".
          Vladimir Dinets