Chill with the Albatroses

  • DEBRA SHEARWATER
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 25, 2012
      Howdy, Seabirders,

      The fall sea birding season is rapidly approaching! Time to jump on board, escape the heat and chill with the albatrosses!

      Shearwater Journeys' opening season pelagic trips departing from Half Moon Bay on July 28 & 29 still have spaces available. We are aiming to get to offshore warm water in hopes of finding Cook's petrels. A large plume of warm water is currently close to shore, as well. Of course, weather always dictates where we can go. Albatrosses have been reported to be very close to shore, right now, along with large numbers of whales feeding on krill� always the marine lesson � seabirds are found in patches, generally where the food can be found!

      Half Moon Bay is a convenient location for birders in the San Francisco, East Bay and South Bay locations. More information can be found at:
      http://shearwaterjourneys.blogspot.com/2012/05/half-moon-bay-seabird-trips.html
      All trips are on the sparkling, clean vessel, "Queen of Hearts."

      For reservations this coming weekend, please contact Debi Shearwater; debi@.... Leaders include:
      JULY 28: CLAY KEMPF, TODD MCGRATH, DEBI SHEARWATER
      JULY 29: TODD MCGRATH, SCOTT TERRILL, LINDA TERRILL, DEBI SHEARWATER

      To read our trip report for July 30, 2011 with zero Cook's Petrels:
      http://shearwaterjourneys.blogspot.com/2011/08/trip-report-july-30-2011-half-moon-bay.html
      To read our trip report for July 31, 2010 with 4 Cook's Petrels:
      http://shearwaterjourneys.blogspot.com/2010/08/trip-report-july-31-2010-half-moon-bay.html

      Shearwater Journeys' entire fall schedule can be found at:
      http://www.shearwaterjourneys.com/schedule.shtml
      PLEASE NOTE: The following trips are SOLD OUT: August 5 & September 30 to the Farallon Islands; September 27 Photographer's Bodega Bay trip; September 27th Cordell Bank & Bodega Canyon trip. Limited spaces are available on these trips: September 7, 8, 9, 12 and October 1. If you are interested in any of these trips, please book as soon as possible.

      Trips departing from Bodega Bay with spaces available are scheduled for: AUGUST 22, SEPTEMBER 21, OCTOBER 26. More information can be found at: http://shearwaterjourneys.blogspot.com/2012_05_01_archive.html

      Trips departing from Fort Bragg to search especially for the Hawaiian Petrel are scheduled for: AUGUST 24 & 25. More information can be found at: http://shearwaterjourneys.blogspot.com/2012/05/fort-bragg-seabird-trips.html

      Trips departing from Monterey Bay include: AUGUST 3, 10, 17; SEPTEMBER 7, 8, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 28; OCTOBER 6, 14. More information can be found at: http://shearwaterjourneys.blogspot.com/2012/06/monterey-seabirds-with-shearwater.html

      Shearwater Journeys' trips cover the following California Counties: Monterey, Santa Cruz, San Mateo, San Francisco, Marin, Sonoma, Mendocino, and sometimes, Humboldt. Some trips cover two counties in one day.

      Over 1,300 birders joined our dedicated sea birding trips in 2011. Although seabird density was generally, the lowest I've seen in the 35 years that I've plied the central coast offshore waters, we still managed to find all of the regular species, and some not so "regular." This year is already sizing up to be quite different, with loads of krill, lifeblood of the seas, being reported close to shore in many localities. This is great news for seabirds and the birders who want to see them.

      Jump on board! See you out there, chill'n with the 'trosses!
      Debi Shearwater

      DEBRA SHEARWATER
      Shearwater Journeys, Inc.
      PO Box 190
      Hollister, CA 95024
      831.637.8527
      debi@...
      www.shearwaterjourneys.com
      www.shearwaterjourneys.blogspot.com

      High Arctic: Polar Bears, Walrus & Seabirds: 8 - 18 July 2013, charter with Debi