Current Demoiselle Crane News

  • redhead457@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , May 10, 2002
      Recent sightings of the Dem Crane:
      In fact there have been several sightings on the
      Demoiselle Crane in the area around Smithers BC.
      For photos and details check out this website:
      bcprovbirding@....
      I wasn't made aware of its existence when I did my
      search. I am going to throw my energy into helping
      that province-wide group of birders rather than start
      my own group.
      Thanks for the quick response.
      <A HREF="mailto:ggwootton@...">ggwootton@...</A>

      Thanks for contacting our group. The answer is YES!
      One group of migratory birds we in the San Joaquin County area
      (Stockton-Lodi-Manteca) are interested in is the Sandhill Cranes. The
      Sandhills left their various winter playgrounds in our area in March. Among
      them was a very rare companion -- a Demoiselle Crane. Many of us in Northern
      California would be interested to hear of any sightings from North Central
      California to Oregon and into the SW corner of Canada and into Alaska.
      So if any Canadian birders are in the flyway for the Sandhills, and they spot
      some -- plus the aforementioned Dem Cr, we would be glad to know of it.
      Other interested groups would be: central_valley_birds@egroups.com
      and sjbirds@yahoogroups.com.
      Good birding!
      Linda Corey
      Stockton, CA
      Birders,
      Initially reported as a Common Crane, the bird seen in Smithers, BC on May
      2, 2002 appears to be a Demoiselle Crane. Thanks to Michael Shepherd for
      pointing out the possibility that it could be the Demoiselle which spent the
      winter in California. After looking at the photo the bird clearly has a pale
      gray crown, a field mark illustrated by Mullarney, Zetterstrom, Svennson and
      Grant in their field guide, the Birds of Europe. A Common Crane should show
      a red patch on the crown, and this bird doesn't. The smaller size is also a
      good field mark for Demoiselle Crane, which is 20 % smaller. The tertials
      appear neatly arranged, not bushy as in the nearby Sandhill Cranes in the
      photo. Also visible in the photo is a dark bar on the leading edge of the
      wing. This field mark corresponds to the bird photographed in California.
      Any other comments on why this bird would not be the Demoiselle Crane? See
      links below.

      Links:
      http://fog.ccsf.cc.ca.us/~jmorlan/gallery.htm

      Chris Charlesworth