Re: Yellow-billed Magpie survey 2012?

  • Jones, Andrea
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 10, 2012
      After 3 successful years of the volunteer Yellow-billed Magpie survey organized by Audubon CA, we decided to take a break and reassess the survey and discuss whether a different type of survey for magpies would be useful (winter roost sites for instance) or whether we want to pick a different species that would be easy to survey using this approach. The data we gathered for the 3 years gave us a good picture of where magpies are being spotted (but not where they are not...) across their range, increased usage of eBird, and generated data that we provided to UC Davis. We also learned how much Californian's love the magpie, from the serious to backyard birder - more than 300 people participated. Thanks to everyone and we'll be in touch about plans for next year! Please feel free to send me any comments or suggestions off this list serv at ajones@...<mailto:ajones@...>

      Andrea Jones
      Director, Important Bird Areas Program
      Audubon California
      601 Embarcadero, Suite 14