Re: Nesting Raptors along Hwy. 5, between Tehachapi and the LA basin

  • debbieviess
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 2, 2012
      Hi Folks,
      I thought that I had already sent a follow-up message to this list, but it never popped up.

      Certainly not nests of either cormorants nor herons, both colonial nesters. These two, huge, single nests, widely separated and atop towers, were in a sere, tree-free area prior to a large body of water right along Hwy. 5. Larry Schmahl, in correspondence with a listmember, said the nests are up near the town Gorman and claims that they belong to ravens. My "reservoir" (or at least one of our infamous CA drowned canyons) may just be Castac (now "Tejon") Lake. No labels as we flew by on the Hwy. At any rate, a significant body of water that could certainly have supported an osprey.

      Ravens were the most common raptorial bird observed on our drive down Hwy. 5, from the BA to the LA basin, so it makes sense.

      Of course, both raptors and owls will re-use a raven's nest, after the ravens have done all the hard work, so who knows? Maybe someday there will be a hawk in that nest.

      Keep an eye out, next time YOU fly by!

      Debbie Viess
      Oakland, Ca